Cross The Boundary

Decorating By cheatize Updated 22 Mar 2011 , 8:23pm by sweetaudrey

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 8

I'm doing a combination of cake, cupcakes, cake truffles and Greek letter cookies for a convention with approximately 800 in attendance. KKΨ is a music fraternity and TBΣ is a music sorority. Their colors are blue and white and their mascots are a beaver and a turtle. The theme for this year is "Cross the Boundary" and their website says, "This means to step over limits you thought existed, to go beyond where you thought you could."

I'm looking mostly for ideas for the cake, but cupcake toppers ideas and such are welcome, too. So far I'm thinking about a road of life three tier cake and have typical college student obstacles on road signs. I'm also considering putting a fallen tree and a boulder along the road along with a fondant beaver and a fondant turtle.

Anything come to mind?

7 replies
sweetaudrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetaudrey Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 8:40am
post #2 of 8

Wow this is a tough one. Hmmm. I like the idea of creating a story/journey using cake. You could use the upcakes to sybolise different bolders around the cake. What I mean by this would be to makybe shape the cupcake into some type of obstical or just make an obstical out of gumpaste/fondant and stick it on top of the cupcake and then just create a flowy design that tells a story.

Since they are both music groups you could add that into the mixture with some music notes or instraments. You could even add these into the 'obsticle course,' if you will, that the students have to overcome.

I don't know if it does, but I do hope this helps somewhat. =] Good luck!

heather208 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather208 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 10:00am
post #3 of 8

Well....maybe as they are music students you could have a staff winding around the cake and the notes could start out very simple mary had a little lamb or something around the bottom....and then as you move up the cake get more and more complex until it becomes a very complex musical number. You could even start with just a treble clef and then move to bass and treble.

heather208 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 10:05am
post #4 of 8

Oh also it would be really neat to have a character on top of the cake playing a piano with the legs sawed off...That is how beethoven composed his music as he was deaf....If that isn't crossing limits I don't know what is! =)

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 8

Great ideas! Thanks!

On a funny note, heather208, at first I thought you were saying to saw off the character's legs. lol

heather208 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 5:40pm
post #6 of 8

HaHa! that would be an interesting cake!

yodasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yodasmom Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 6:01pm
post #7 of 8

I always thought the cakes that create the illusion of being upside down were really cool. They look to "step over limits you thought existes"

sweetaudrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetaudrey Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodasmom

I always thought the cakes that create the illusion of being upside down were really cool. They look to "step over limits you thought existes"

Thanks a great idea! I agree with you. If you make a cake that defies gravity or is upside-down then it would appear to cross boundries that the human mind naturally thinks are there. Good idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%