Shop Owners Please Help.

Business By 4realLaLa Updated 21 Mar 2011 , 4:51pm by Dayti

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 3:30am
post #1 of 8

I wanted to know if you guys know of a good POS cash registers. I have been searching online but feel very unsure. icon_confused.gif What features do you find most useful? TIA

lala,

7 replies
4realLaLa Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 4:31am
post #2 of 8

Ok well can anyone tell me what kind NOT to buy? I'm opening my shop in May and I want to make sure I have it programed and ready to go before then. Thanks again
lala,

SucreSucre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SucreSucre Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 6:28am
post #3 of 8

I don't have a shop, was just a mngr at one quite some time ago, but the register that we had was a simple one. It was able to departmentalize over 150 items, program separate tax rates, and you could of course program in different users, and user numbers so you would know who was ringing up a sale. It had numerous other features, like locking cash drawer, thermal register tape, etc.... but this is what I can recall of the top of my head. Now the number one feature that we found that was imperative was the fact that it had a detachable storage medium, and we were also able to hook it up the computer. We were able to take the flash drive and download all the sales into the business computer and export the file to excel then use the info as needed. Now as for your actual POS system, there are numerous programs out there. I don't know what sized operation you are planning on having, but a POS system is a wonderful tool. Try looking into the CakeBoss software and see what they offer. If I'm not mistaken, I think it offers customer tracking, inventory, management and some other things. (Not that familiar with the product, sorry icon_redface.gif)
Anyhoo sorry to ramble on! tapedshut.gificon_lol.gif
Hope this helps a little! thumbs_up.gif

4realLaLa Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 11:12am
post #4 of 8

sucresucre I REALLY appreciate that you took the time to answer my question. I have been searching for weeks and just could not make up my mind. Thanks for your help.

bellaudreycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellaudreycakes Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 12:01pm
post #5 of 8

My shop opens tomorrow! We just bought a casio simple cash resgister to print receipts etc if customer wants one but I will also be using my computer and quickbooks. It tooks us a day to figure it out we had to call tech support a couple times becuase we didn't know who to not charge tax since it was food/drink but they were very helpful. I don't know how big your place is but mine is small I am the only employee as of now so we just needed something simple. I got it from office max. Good luck thumbs_up.gif

SucreSucre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SucreSucre Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 8

You're welcome, good luck and God bless! thumbs_up.gif

4realLaLa Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 8

thanks bellaudreycakes. I will only have 1 employee. I just want to make sure I can do returns if an error is made, run totals at the end of each day and has a memory. I am honestly surprised that no one else answered but maybe not too many people use cash registers. Anywho congrats on your shop!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 4:51pm
post #8 of 8

I also looked at POS systems when I opened, but the expense was enormous and totally not justified. I work with a Mac and there was nothing that was compatible and I would have had to buy a PC just to be able to take advantage of the advantages of a POS. My operation is pretty small at the moment, so I just bought a Casio cash register (model is SE-S10 if you want to look it up) - it cost about $100 and does everything I need it to right now. It takes a while to program your items/message etc but it would be worse if it were a restaurant or department store. I take the daily report and plug the numbers in an Excel spreadsheet - it works for me for now!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%