Bakery Display Cases

Business By pounds6 Updated 22 Mar 2011 , 1:52am by pounds6

pounds6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pounds6 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 3:31am
post #1 of 12

I plan to open a retial cake shop soon. I have been looking online at bakery display cases. I see that some are refrigerated and some are not. My reasoning tells me that to display cakes a refrigerated one would be best; however I was in a local cake shop 2 days ago and they had cakes on the countertop in individual covered cake stands and those cakes were not refrigerated. Is it necessary to have refrigeration for cake display?

11 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 3:42am
post #2 of 12

No need for refrigerated cases if no perishable fillings/frostings are used.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pounds6

I plan to open a retial cake shop soon. I have been looking online at bakery display cases. I see that some are refrigerated and some are not. My reasoning tells me that to display cakes a refrigerated one would be best; however I was in a local cake shop 2 days ago and they had cakes on the countertop in individual covered cake stands and those cakes were not refrigerated. Is it necessary to have refrigeration for cake display?

I am concerned about this question. As someone opening a business, you should know how cakes can be stored and if refrigeration is good or not for them. Asking this question gives me the impression you have not done enough home work. Are you sure you are ready?

Like the previous poster said, the only time you need to refrigerate cakes is when they have a perishable filling or topping such as whipped cream or a cream filling in a Boston cream pie.

Refrigerating cakes will dry them out and quickly too. I went around checking out the competition and trying different places before I started my road to opening a business. The one that refrigerated the cakes was the driest and worst cake ever. I couldn't even finish it. And she tried to compensate by squirting honey over the cake, which just made it sweeter and worse.

Good luck.

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 12

I used a pastry case that was both refrigerated and non-refirgerated. It worked out perfectly. The non-refrigerated was on top 2 shelves - refrigerated on bottom two shelves. It was a slanted European case with pull out doors on back.

Also, the refrigerated/non refrigerated cake issue may also be a health dept. question. Here in (my area) NY you could not leave cakes unrefrigerated on the counter. I kept cookies and pies on unrefrigerated and cakes in refrigerated. Health Dept considers buttercream (I made Italian Meringue) a refrigerated item. And lastly, refrigerated cakes are not dry. I told all my customers to allow the cakes to come to room temp before serving so the cake would be soft and the buttercream soft and creamy - no complaints!

LindaF144a Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 3:54pm
post #5 of 12

I am in NY also. I know the laws vary from county to county. We don't have to refrigerate that kind of frosting. I personally know of two places that leave cupcakes out on display with that kind of frosting.
It is probably a matter of the recipe, but the cake I had that was refrigerated was very dry. Or maybe it was age. Who knows how long they decided to let the cake sit in the case.

pounds6 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 12

No reason for concern, I'm really not stupid. The whole reason Im asking is becuse this is part of my "research". When I was in school we were told no question is stupid, thats how we learn. Of course I realize that some things must be refrigerated. I make swiss meringe buttercream for osme cakes and I also make several curds for cake fliing etc, but I just wanted some feedback from others. I am not sure if some people leave their cakes out all night or take them in each night. Sometimes there are many different ways to do any one thing, thats why you ask questions to learn. Thanks for your help ladies.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 4:58pm
post #7 of 12

I don't have a refrigerated display - I don't use perishable fillings, and my display has been okayed by my HD. I bring everything that has not been sold out at night and cover with plastic wrap.

My display was made by the people who made my L-shaped bar and covers the whole bar surface - it is just super thick glass on the top of the bar. The back is open, no doors, so its easy for me to get at the cupcakes etc. Easy to clean with hardly any crevices. Most importantly, people can see everything easily, and those who decide to have a coffee and cake in, eat and drink directly above the goods icon_biggrin.gif

I also have cakes on top, on cake stands with glass domes. It looks pretty.

LindaF144a Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 6:21pm
post #8 of 12

Adorable!

And good to know this is a research question. I took the word "soon" to mean any day now. This is one of the first things I researched. I did my research in a different order than you did, so that is where the confusion came in.

pounds6 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 6:48pm
post #9 of 12

Haha, "Soon" I wish it were any day now!...and by that I mean Im really excited about getting started! But Im working on my business plan and visiting local cake shops and all that stuff we need to do to prepare.

To Dayti.. Wow, thanks so much for the pic. What a wonderful display. I have been looking online and new or used bakery display cases cost a pretty penny. The refrigerated ones are quite a bit more than the non-refrigerated ones. Interesting that you had someone make yours. I have a cousin that has a cabinet making business and he does beautiful work! Maybe this is something I could discuss with him.
I just love Cakecentral because it's a place we bakers can come for mutual support! Thanks for your help!

aces413 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aces413 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 9:14pm
post #10 of 12

Dayti--very nice! I'm loving the card-holders that note the flavors on display. Super cute! thumbs_up.gif

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 10:03pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pounds6

To Dayti.. Wow, thanks so much for the pic. What a wonderful display. I have been looking online and new or used bakery display cases cost a pretty penny. The refrigerated ones are quite a bit more than the non-refrigerated ones. Interesting that you had someone make yours. I have a cousin that has a cabinet making business and he does beautiful work! Maybe this is something I could discuss with him.
I just love Cakecentral because it's a place we bakers can come for mutual support! Thanks for your help!

Thankyou everyone for your kind comments! Definitely talk it over with your cousin. The company that made mine also make them with refrigeration units in if necessary, but the design would have to be somewhat different. This unit cost me around 3000 (plus tax), it is 3m long on the long part of the L, 1.6m on the short part, 0.5m wide, 1.1m high to the top of the glass. The glass part is 20cm high only, and runs the whole L shape of the bar, except 0.9m where the cash register is. The price included the marble top along the whole length, and they also did the marble top (1.8m long) for the unit behind the bar (where the coffee machine, tea bags and a LOAD of drawers are). Under the bar are lots of shelves for the cake boxes, plates, bags etc. These are just plain MDF in a grey colour (customers can't really see that bit). I think its worthwhile getting some quotes, so you get exactly what you want. You may only spend a little more than buying something that already is out there but might not be quite the look you are going for.

Those little card holder thingies and the hooks on the bar for peoples handbags (plus a load of other bits and pieces not in that photo) I bought in a really cute shop in London, Sass&Belle, http://www.sassandbelle.co.uk/index.php but they only deliver in the UK. Go armed with a credit card if you do manage to visit!

pounds6 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 1:52am
post #12 of 12

Thanks sweetie! You were thinking out of the box. From the picture your place looks really nice. I took a look at your cakes too, they look fantastic! Thanks for all your tips. CAKE DECORATORS UNITE ! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%