Marshmallow Fondant Help Needed

Baking By puddykat1026 Updated 19 Mar 2011 , 12:27am by puddykat1026

puddykat1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puddykat1026 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all! I am super new here (I signed up about 5 minutes ago icon_smile.gif ) & I've been doing cakes for a few months now. I was asked to do a cake for a birthday and I made marshmallow fondant. It's worked out great, doesn't stick, beautiful consistency and I made it about a week ago. So what's the problem? The minute I pick it up on the rolling pin it starts to tear. What am I doing wrong? I have been messing with this for the last 2 hours icon_cry.gif ! I am making a doll cake so the cake itself is a dome covered with chocolate ganache. Any help is appreciated. I need to finish this cake tonight for a party 1st thing in the morning. Thanks!

4 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 5

It might be too cold, or too dry? You can put it in the microwave for a FEW seconds to warm it before you start kneading it again. What are you rolling it out on? If you use cornstarch or powdered sugar, it will dry the fondant out a bit, especially if you have been re-kneading after each attempt. Ensure the fondant is nice and soft, add some more Crisco to it, and try again. Also, rolling the fondant thinner will help since there will be less overall weight on the rolling pin as you pick it up.

puddykat1026 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for responding. I live in Orlando, FL. It's not humid and I turned the A/C & overhead fan off so it wouldn't dry out. I'm using a wilton roll & cut mat covered in Crisco. If it gets too sticky I add powder & cornstarch. The consistency feels ok, it's just when I pick it up to make sure it's not stuck to the mat it starts to tear. I put it back down & when I'm ready to pick it up with the pin to cover the cake it just starts to pull & tear. It is almost like it's too heavy. I read that it can't be too thin, but maybe I'm lixing that up with the Wilton fondant...

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 5

It could be the color you've made it. When I color MMF red, black or any dark color like blue/green it then gets kind of "graney" and falls apart easily. I now just airbrush any dark color. I've heard that if you use powder colors that it won't do that but I haven't tried that. (I use the gel colors)

puddykat1026 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 12:27am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the tip. I colored it kind of a light green using leaf green gel coloring since it's a Tinkerbell doll cake. It was a bit grainy, but I just got the fondant on. I put a thick layer of powdered sugar down on the mat & a light layer on the top so when I rolled it out I wouldn't have to lift or turn it. Then as I rolled it around the pin I added more to keep it from sticking. I got it all rolled on the pin instead of trying to only do 1/2. Then I threw it on the cake and there is stays! What a task! It was my 1st one, so I'll try not to get too discouraged. I hope to learn much more from everyone!

Hugs,
Kristy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%