Cake Baking Problem!!!please Help

Baking By Michelle46 Updated 20 Mar 2011 , 5:36am by cake_architect

Michelle46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle46 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 16

Every now and then when I stack and frost a cake and cover it with the fondant it looks like one side of the cake is sinking in. Like I used a slightly smaller pan then the other. The sides are not straight. why is this.. Is it the pans I'm using?
Hope I'm explaining this right... icon_sad.gif Look at the bottom tier left side

15 replies
silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 16

Maybe try using a bench scraper or something along those lines to make sure your buttercream is even and straight along the sides first? I use ganache under my fondant. I find it easier to get it straight and smooth and not have to worry about it squishing or moving when I'm smoothing the fondant. Your cakes may not be perfectly straight up and down out of the pan, depending on which ones you're using. Some of the pans are slightly wider at the top.

Michelle46 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 16

Thanks so much
I tried to post a picture of it. But it won't work. It's the little prince Baby shower cake in my album

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 16

Do your cake pans have straight or slanted sides?

(Hint, if the cake pans can "nest" they have slanted sides.)

Do you level your layers before assembling?

HTH

Michelle46 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 16

You were right!!! It's the pan. I look at it and measured it. And your right!!!! Thank You Again! icon_smile.gif

Michelle46 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 16

Yes I do. Sorry I'm new at all this.. What do you mean by nest?

JanH Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 16

You answered your own question. icon_smile.gif

If the cake pans are wider at the top and narrower at the bottom they can "nest" because the smaller diameter of the cake pan bottom will fit inside the larger diameter opening at the top of the pan.

Straight sided pans can only be stacked one on top of another because their diameter is the same top to bottom.

HTH

Michelle46 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 16

Thank You. I understand now icon_confused.gif

Michelle46 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 5:52pm
post #9 of 16

Jan
what brand of pans are the best?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 10:53pm
post #10 of 16

Magic Line. Straight sides on both the rounds and squares. Sur la Table sells them and so does amazon.com

JanH Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 11:22pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle46

Jan
what brand of pans are the best?

I think that depends on how much disposable income you have and the volume of baking you're going to do.

I have multiple sets (with dupes of the ones I use most to speed up baking) of the Wilton straight sided decorator preferred pans (in sheet cakes, rounds, hearts and contour).

I also have performance pan sets (with dupes of the ones I use most) in rounds (2 & 3") and oval.

Using 40% off coupons from Hobby Lobby & Michaels, these pans were reasonably priced and perfectly suitable for my hobby baking. If I were intending to start a business, I would invest in commercial quality pans that could stand up to years of everyday usage - but that's not my situation.

HTH

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 11:48pm
post #12 of 16

Magic Line are worth the money. As long as you take care of them- hand wash- they will last a lifetime.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 12:13am
post #13 of 16

ditto the Magic Line pans. It's what cake pans all want to be when they grow up.

Michelle46 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 5:07am
post #14 of 16

Thanks so much everyone!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 5:26am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

ditto the Magic Line pans. It's what cake pans all want to be when they grow up.

love that! Too cute!

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 5:36am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

love it! and i love my magic line's too icon_biggrin.gif i have two sets of 3" round (6/8/10/12) and one set of 3" square (6/8/10). the rounds bake up really nice but i haven't had a chance to use my squares yet. hth!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%