Oh Wow Why Didn't I Find This Sooner?

Decorating By fortheloveofcake1984 Updated 25 Mar 2011 , 11:04pm by Renaejrk

fortheloveofcake1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fortheloveofcake1984 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 63

well I made a cake and tried out SMBC and WOW i have never had anything so tasty!! The cake was delish why havent I tried this before LOL

62 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 63

Because it's so much more work than regular buttercream! But I've heard so many raves about meringue buttercreams that I'm just going to have to break down and try one one day soon.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 63

You'd like IMBC too then...a lot of people (myself included) find IMBC much simpler and easier to make. Essentially SMBC and IMBC are the same thing, just a different method.

Straight meringue buttercreams can be too 'buttery' though. I've tweaked my IMBC recipe to increase the sugar a little, reduce the butter (I use unsalted) a fair bit, and add a little (white or dark, depending) cooled melted chocolate. The result is perfect thumbs_up.gif

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 63

i like any buttercream that doesn't use powdered sugar cuz man that stuff gets everywhere! i swear i must have some in my lungs icon_wink.gif

fortheloveofcake1984 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 12:42am
post #5 of 63

Well id heard that lots of people have problems with it, so it always put me off. But it came out perfectly first time. I added the butter in little cubes at a time tasting to ensure it wasnt too buttery.
My darling H2B says he hasnt tasted such a nice cake and plleeassee could I make it as a tier for our wedding cake.
SO all I have to do now is plan 2 more tiers

fortheloveofcake1984 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 12:44am
post #6 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

You'd like IMBC too then...a lot of people (myself included) find IMBC much simpler and easier to make. Essentially SMBC and IMBC are the same thing, just a different method.

Straight meringue buttercreams can be too 'buttery' though. I've tweaked my IMBC recipe to increase the sugar a little, reduce the butter (I use unsalted) a fair bit, and add a little (white or dark, depending) cooled melted chocolate. The result is perfect thumbs_up.gif

Oh Coral3 That sounds fab especially the chocolate mmm delish

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 9:07pm
post #7 of 63

once you've tasted SMBC, you'll never go back! It is SO WORTH the extra work. the flavor cannot be beat, and it so easy to frost a cake with.

seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 9:13pm
post #8 of 63

I haven't tried SMBC because I have no idea what to do with the egg yolks and hate wasting them.

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 9:15pm
post #9 of 63

you can freeze the egg yolks and use them to make curds - lemon, lime, passionfruit, etc.

Coral3 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 9:32pm
post #10 of 63

For those who've not made IMBC before and want to try there is a good tutorial here:

When you've got the method down then you can just tweak it to taste. My recipe is not an exact science, I reduce the butter and increase the sugar for the syrup (when you make the syrup you need to use enough water to just wet all the sugar, so if the original quantity of water is not enough then add extra water a teaspoon at a time until it's just wet). When I've got all the butter beaten in I add in cooled melted chocolate & vanilla extract to taste, then beat until it's done.

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 9:38pm
post #11 of 63

For those who don't know what to do with the yolks---You can always buy pasturized egg whites in the carton. I use them in my IMBC without any problems.

Coral3 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 9:42pm
post #12 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie7224

For those who don't know what to do with the yolks---You can always buy pasturized egg whites in the carton. I use them in my IMBC without any problems.

...or dried egg whites which work equally well.
My only lament with dried egg whites though is that I can't get free-range. icon_sad.gif

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 10:11pm
post #13 of 63

In addition to the wonderful taste, there is also the added benefit of its luxurious texture - like edible satin!

Sometimes when it is very hot, I add some of Indydebi's buttercream to it and it still is really, really good!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 10:17pm
post #14 of 63

I make IMBC but the end of this post still works for that. And there's good info here for SMBC users. A few of us have tried this and it works.

http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/tutorial-swiss-meringue-buttercream/

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 10:24pm
post #15 of 63

For me making a regular batch of american buttercream is much more trouble and time consuming than making a batch of SMBC.

I love the velvety texture and the silky feeling of meringue buttercreams.

The other best part is flavoring SMBC/IMBC, I recently made hazlenut-praline SMBC and it was heavenly delicious!!! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

corpsequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
corpsequeen Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 12:33am
post #17 of 63

Alright y'all, help a noob out :p what is smbc and imbc? Feel free to add little descriptions of each if you got the time :p still trying to learn!

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 12:49am
post #18 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

Coral would you care to share your tweaked recipe, it sounds divine!

imagenthatnj Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 1:27am
post #19 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpsequeen

Alright y'all, help a noob out :p what is smbc and imbc? Feel free to add little descriptions of each if you got the time :p still trying to learn!

SMBC = Swiss Meringue Buttercream
egg whites and sugar are heated on a double boiler then whipped to stiff peaks and butter is added at the end.

IMBC = Italian Meringue Buttercream
egg whites are whipped to stiff peaks while sugar and water get boiled to about 248 degrees Farenheit. The hot syrup is then poured over the whites and once the mixture is cooled down while beating, butter is added at the end.

Both take flavorings and they are the same end product just a different process.

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 1:56am
post #20 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedrv

I haven't tried SMBC because I have no idea what to do with the egg yolks and hate wasting them.

Whenever I make a white cake that uses only egg whites, I use the leftover yolks to make Rose Beranbaum's Neoclassic Buttercream from the Cake Bible. If I'm not going to use it immediately, I put it in an airtight bowl in the freezer til I need it. It is FABULOUS! I used to make the CIA's SMBC, but hated to waste the yolks in both the buttercream and the white cake. Here's a fabulous way to keep from wasting anything!

corpsequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
corpsequeen Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 2:41am
post #21 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpsequeen

SMBC = Swiss Meringue Buttercream
egg whites and sugar are heated on a double boiler then whipped to stiff peaks and butter is added at the end.

IMBC = Italian Meringue Buttercream
egg whites are whipped to stiff peaks while sugar and water get boiled to about 248 degrees Farenheit. The hot syrup is then poured over the whites and once the mixture is cooled down while beating, butter is added at the end.

Both take flavorings and they are the same end product just a different process.

thank you very much!! icon_smile.gif

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 3:14am
post #22 of 63

ok so what is the best recipe for this SMBC? Now I think it may be worth the trouble to try it...suggestions????

imagenthatnj Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 12:40pm
post #23 of 63

If you google or find it here you'll see that the recipe is kind of universal. The people who have "tweaked" versions of it are just adding more sugar to the syrup yo make it sweeter or adding some melted chocolate at the end as flavoring. Or taking a little butter off. All you have to learn really is technique. I posted a link before.

Warning: some people will still end up not liking it because they're used to the gritty sweet flavor of regular buttercream.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 1:26pm
post #24 of 63

I make and love smbc, imbc, fmbc and american b/c. when i make the american , (clients request) , it is never gritty and i use hi-ratio shortening in that. I use butter in it also. It is very tasty.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 1:50pm
post #25 of 63

I am one who loves to use the cartoned egg whites, and I always add melted, cooled white chocolate to my IMBC. I recently posted my recipe in the recipe section, but it hasn't gone through yet. I tweaked it to use a whole carton of egg whites so I don't waste them, and it gives me a larger volume of icing.

Here are some pics I once posted of whipped carton egg whites. I think they work great (depending on the brand!)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-688611-.html

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 2:22pm
post #26 of 63

My fear with IMBC/SMBC is shelf life. Can someone confirm it has to be refrigerated? If it does, that takes it out of the running for meicon_sad.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 2:33pm
post #27 of 63

It can be left in the counter without any problems. Again, I posted a link before and there was a discussion on cc about it. Some people never refrigerate it. Some people freeze it and then leave it out the day before. I'm on my cell so I can't look for the thread but search for SMBC and FromScratchSF and you'll probably find the thread.

susie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susie1 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 2:49pm
post #28 of 63

WOW! Thanks for the recipies. I can't wait to try them because the buttercream I make is way too sweet.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 4:27pm
post #29 of 63

Thanks imaginethatnj, I've been avoiding using it because I thought it wasn't shelf stable. Now I'll have to give it a tryicon_smile.gif

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 4:47pm
post #30 of 63

A hint for those who make powdered sugar icings:
place a wet dish towel over the mixing bowl as the powdered sugar is stirred. The wet cloth catches the powder sugar spray and it won't get all over your counter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%