Was Asked A Price....

Decorating By kristiemarie Updated 18 Mar 2011 , 3:25pm by kristiemarie

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 6

....and I had no idea what to say. I was thrilled but panicked. 1) I don't think my cakes are quite ready to sell yet. 2) I have NO CLUE on pricing.

It was for the St Patty's Day cake in my gallery. She asked and I just blurted out $35. Which I know is probably too low.

What should I have said I would charge for something like that? It took me about 6 hours to do.

5 replies
ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 6

2 tiers plus rkt. . . 6 hrs labor. . . I tend to be on the low side too but I think you could definitely get $50-$60. Ingredients alone were probably $20!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 6

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-694973.html

Check out the above post. It has some good information about pricing.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 6

For me that cake would be at least $125. I charge 3.25 for cakes covered in fondant and that is kinda on the low side. But like the post that texas sugar posted you have to read through. Before you even think about selling a cake you gotta figure it out how much it costs you to make it and don't undercharge.

kristiemarie Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 6

THANK YOU. I will check that thread out and figure out where I am with cost. icon_smile.gif

kristiemarie Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 6

I actually did a quick check and I think that the norm in my area is about 2.50-3.00 a serving.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%