Not Sure If It's Right...

Decorating By la_Torta_Dulce Updated 17 Mar 2011 , 12:20am by sugardugar

la_Torta_Dulce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
la_Torta_Dulce Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 6

I just made buttercream for the first time. I realized that I have no idea what it's supposed to taste like. I don't like things crazy sweet, so I was hesitant to use the full two pounds of confectioner's sugar. What does your BC taste like when it's done? Thanks icon_redface.gif

5 replies
ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 6

American buttercream can be really sweet. I actually only use it for kids' cakes. If I want a less sweet buttercream I use an Italian Meringue. If you made it with powdered sugar, chances are it's going to be pretty sweet.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 6

american bc is extremely sweet, imho. That is why I prefer SMBC, not as sweet, or ganache. I won't eat american bc but most of my customers want it, I guess it is what a lot of people grew up on. HTH

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 6

I agree with the other responses that American Buttercream is very sweet. For piping though, it's a good choice for my cakes. I've used Sugarshacks recipe, and substituted sugar free coffee creamer for the regular and had great results that didn't increase the sweetness to an unpalatable level.

Kat

la_Torta_Dulce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
la_Torta_Dulce Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 11:43pm
post #5 of 6

It's got an aftertaste that I'm not sure is in my imagination. Almost a tangy aftertaste. I knew it was sweet to begin with but I wanted to learn this before I try IMBC.

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 12:20am
post #6 of 6

If you enjoy working with American BC but don't want the sweetness, you can add some salt to tame the sweetness. Also, I find using 1/2 butter instead of all shortening adds its own flavour and helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%