Which Clay Extruder Do You Prefer

Decorating By Charmed Updated 3 Apr 2011 , 3:21pm by CakesbyChalupa

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 16

the makins or the new walnut hollow or the extra large extruders like this one:
http://www.scottcreekpottery.net/~scottcre/content/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=9
I heard that the walnut hollow one breaks easily. I wonder if the small disks from the makins could be used with the big extruder?

15 replies
Charmed Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 2:49am
post #2 of 16

icon_biggrin.gif

Jewels17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jewels17 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 3:27am
post #3 of 16

Charmed....thanks for asking this question. I was just shopping around for one myself.

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 3:58am
post #4 of 16

The Green Makins Clay Extruder. It's relatively inexpensive and works really well. I'm on my 2nd green one. I also have two silver ones with big black handles... HATE those.

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:06am
post #5 of 16

I agree, Makins! It's easy to use, easy to clean and relatively inexpensive, I love mine. I purchased it on bay. HTH!

CakesByCharlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByCharlene Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 7:14am
post #6 of 16

ive only used my makins one twice and i love it

Charmed Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 3:41pm
post #7 of 16

I was reading the reviews for the walnut hollow extruder and the reviews were not good and that they break easily. Anyone has the really large extruders?

MAMAWOF4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAMAWOF4 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 3:53pm
post #8 of 16

I saw on Cake Challenge where they used a caulking gun (from hardware store) with a piece of PVC pipe. Put gumpaste/fondant into it and attached a PVC cap (missed how they made hole in cap) and used that to extrude. Seemed much cheaper to me. Has anyone else seen or done this?

TabbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabbieCakes Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:02pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndim

I agree, Makins! It's easy to use, easy to clean and relatively inexpensive, I love mine. I purchased it on bay. HTH!

Ditto! And Ditto! Love the Makins twist top extruder (the gun is reported to be too tiring and hard on the hands), and I got mine for a great price on Ebay as well!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:19pm
post #10 of 16

green makins gun

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:19pm
post #11 of 16

Design me a cake - Edna's site has the green extruder her shipping fees are not bad.

emma_jada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emma_jada Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 5:01pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMAWOF4

I saw on Cake Challenge where they used a caulking gun (from hardware store) with a piece of PVC pipe. Put gumpaste/fondant into it and attached a PVC cap (missed how they made hole in cap) and used that to extrude. Seemed much cheaper to me. Has anyone else seen or done this?

we did this and it did not work well at all. I even tried a 'caulk' gun for clay and it did not work either.

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 5:15pm
post #13 of 16

Here are directions on how to may your own clay extruder. I have seen quite a few people use them with no problems.

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 5:34pm
post #14 of 16

I just got the Makins green twist extruder and used it for the first time last night. I loooooooved it. It's the only one I've ever used, but it's wonderful and really easy to use.

Jewels17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jewels17 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 8:39pm
post #15 of 16

Thank you for all the input. I would love to make the homemade one, but I don't think I need it to be that large. So I'm going with the Green Makins Clay Extruder. I found it for $27.49 at AC Moore. Plus I think I have a 40% or 50% off coupon.

Happy Baking,
Julie

CakesbyChalupa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyChalupa Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 3:21pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMAWOF4

I think I saw that show too, and it got me thinking. You should be able to drill the hole in the cap. Gottaw go to Home Depot now!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%