Cake Pan Question

Decorating By CreativeCakesbyMichelle Updated 17 Mar 2011 , 5:14am by lilmissbakesalot

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 7:00am
post #1 of 7

I need to buy a couple 13x9 cake pans for a cake I'm making for Saturday because the only one I have is a glass casserole type dish. I looked at Michaels (which is the only store around here with cake decorating supplies other than walmart) and all of the pans have the tapered edge and slightly rounded corners. I found some at Ross that have nice square edges and corners but they have a "folded construction" were the pan is made of a sheet of folded metal instead of molded so there is like a seam in the corners. I hope that makes sense, it's kind of hard to explain. So I'm afraid the batter is going to stick in the corners. I believe the brand was Oneida and they are like the pan in this link:
http://www.oneida.com/kitchenware/bakeware/rectangular-cake.html

Has anyone used these pans or something similar?I'd really prefer to have the straight edges and sharp corners but don't want to waste money if I'm going to have issues with that type of pan. Thanks for any help and advice you all can give me!

6 replies
sweetaudrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetaudrey Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 8:04am
post #2 of 7

It took a second to see the slit type things in the corners but I see what your worried about now. If you don't get better feedback that says it's fine or don't use them....My best suggestion would be to take a piece for wax paper and fold it to make a crease for the corner, then just place one of those peices in each of the corners with a little butter between them and the pan to hold them in place. I hope that makes sense. Basically, you're just covering up the corners but keeping the crease in them. Hope this makes sense and helps!! icon_razz.gif

Sam_paggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sam_paggers Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 9:26am
post #3 of 7

I brought some of the foled metal square pans and am not a fan. I seemed to loose some much of the cake in the corners that I've sold them on ebay

sam
xxx

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for responding. I think I'm going to get the pans and try them with the waxed paper because I don't have much choice since the cake is due Saturday. I can buy two of them for less than buying just the one at Michaels that has the round corners. So I'll try these and pass them on to my mom or sister if I don't like them and look online for better ones. Thanks!

sweetaudrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetaudrey Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:48am
post #5 of 7

Sounds like a plan! I was thinking that if you don't think wax paper will hold up, you might try foil. Just make sure you get it smooth and grease it really well. =] Good luck and let us know how it goes!

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 5:13am
post #6 of 7

I have those exact pans and they work fine. Just make sure you run a kife in the corners before turning them out. I have used them without pan release of any kind and have had no issue with losing cake in the corners so long as I cut into the corners.

icon_biggrin.gif

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 5:14am
post #7 of 7

I should say that I do use parchment on the bottom of the pan.

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%