Crisco In Mmf

Decorating By kristiemarie Updated 24 Mar 2011 , 12:38am by Marianna46

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 6:32pm
post #31 of 38

I always melt the crisco with the marshmallows and water in the microwave until the marshmallows are just about melted. In will often add 2 tbsp of glucose or corn syrup and 1 tbsp of glycerine as well. When I stir the mixture together the heat causes the rest to melt. The glucose and glycerine make the fondant very workable. Then I add about 4-5 cups of the PS and stir. I will put about 2 cups of PS on the counter and put the stirred mixture on top, then knead together. I find this method is less messy than using the KA.

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 6:37pm
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedrv

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinecc

Here is the pic of the fairy! http://cakecentral.com//gallery/1887558 This was one of my first cakes and my first cupcake tower so don't laugh! icon_lol.gif BTW: Don't use double sided tape to cover your cake boards in July, it gets so hot and peels up! icon_wink.gif

Very cute! But stupid question time. Can someone eat MMF with tylose in it? I bake a lot of kids' cakes and they want to eat EVERYTHING!

Thanks! Yes, you can eat it, if I don't need very much tylose it doesn't change the taste but for most figurines I can taste it. It's not bad, but I don't really like it. It doesn't seem to bother most people, everyone always eats there fondant cupcake toppers and steals them off the leftover cupcakes!

MissCuteCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCuteCupcakes Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 3:17pm
post #33 of 38

dsilvest, how much crisco do you melt with the marshmellows?

i made some fondant last night but was too scared to melt the crisco in with the marhsmellows, but i did add about 2 teaspoons of corn syrup. i really dont know the results yet since i wrapped it up in saran wrap so it can rest over night. i will see what happens today when i work with it and let you all know.

also someone mentioned something about making the fondant right in the bowl...thats exactly what i do. for some reason whenever i try to make it on the counter i end up with a huge mess that isnt centralized lol...a really big bowl is perfect for making fondant, and it makes cleanup a breeze!

QuiteContrary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QuiteContrary Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 6:49pm
post #34 of 38

I am wondering if the crisco in the MMF will make it too soft, especially for use in a hot climate like the Caribbean. I want to try it for the pliability but worried it may sag in the heat. I have used crisco, glycerin and cornsyrup before to give pliability but never that much crisco. Any thoughts?

I do not have tylose but I have Gum Tex will that work to make it stiffen up a bit to mold fabric swags?

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 7:15pm
post #35 of 38

1. I usually add 1/4 cup crisco or generic shortening to my fondant and I also like making it in the bowl. I only add PS until I can't stir it any longer then I pour it onto the counter onto a bed of PS and knead.

2. Yes gumtex will help to firm up the fondant and it will dry faster.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 7:22pm
post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzCuteCupcakes

kristiemarie, when you say you put 1/2 cup of crisco into your mmf, did you put it in the microwave along with the marshmellows?

I need to make some this week and I am seriously thinking about doing this

Yes, I put it in the bottom of the bowl and microwave the mellows til they melt. icon_smile.gif

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 7:27pm
post #37 of 38

I use a big ol bowl too. I work with it in there until it's a ball and then finish kneading it on the counter.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 12:38am
post #38 of 38

QuiteContrary, as you see, I live in Cancún, and this trick (plus a little more powdered sugar and a little CMC/tylose) solved all the problems I found translating my cool-climate fondant to the Caribbean (and, believe me, I had a lot of them when I first moved there a couple of years ago!). The fondant I that was kind of stiff when I used it in Mexico City was soft and sticky when I tried to use it in Cancún, so I added some powdered sugar to it until I liked the consistency, but it still stuck to my hands when I worked with it, so I started adding the shortening until it stopped sticking both to me and the counter when I rolled it out. The CMC - or tylose, which is the same thing - makes it dry faster and a little harder so it doesn't slide down the sides of the cake. The PS and the shortening have to be eye-balled. The CMC is about 1 tsp. per pound (or half kilo) of fondant, although you can experiment with that, too. I've put in as much as a tablespoon per pound. It tastes lemon-y (or, rather, like citric acid crystals) but it won't hurt you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%