Crisco In Mmf

Decorating By kristiemarie Updated 24 Mar 2011 , 12:38am by Marianna46

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 38

I don't know who suggested it (my memory is like swiss cheese) but THANK YOU!

I put in 1/2 cup of crisco in my last batch of MMF and holy moley I can't believe how much better it is to work with!! Smoother, less sticky, nice and stretchy...I love it.

I LOVE whoever suggested that. icon_biggrin.gif

37 replies
Ambar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambar2 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 38

oooohhh! I gotta try that. Thanks

QuadCities Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QuadCities Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 38

Okay, I'm going to sound like a total idiot .. and that's okay because someday I AM!!!! ..

I have not made this MMF that all has talked about .. What is the recipe .. I would like to give it a whirl ..

Hope your having a grand day .. Spring is a coming and I can not wait to get my fingers in the dirt ..

Emma

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 38

Everything in my gallery...cakes, figures, purse handles, modeled pieces... everything is MMF with a 1/2 cup of Crisco melted right in w/ the MM's!
I read the tip posted by jeking awhile ago and tried it...LOVED it!

(Actually I reduced to 1/3 cup a few times when I was planning to use lots of color...not anymore though)

MissCuteCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCuteCupcakes Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 38

i'm going to give this a try! thanks

holwhit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holwhit Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 1:43am
post #6 of 38

Geneseo,

The mmf recipe I use is from here:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

HTH icon_smile.gif

QuadCities Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QuadCities Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 1:40am
post #7 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by holwhit

Geneseo,

The mmf recipe I use is from here:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

HTH icon_smile.gif

Sorry for not getting back to you before now .. Thanks for sharing this web site .. I'm going to do this in the next few days .. I hope anyway .. I will get back to you on my out comings on this .. Emma ~ Geneseo

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:02am
post #8 of 38
MissCuteCupcakes Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 1:45pm
post #9 of 38

kristiemarie, when you say you put 1/2 cup of crisco into your mmf, did you put it in the microwave along with the marshmellows?

I need to make some this week and I am seriously thinking about doing this

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 1:53pm
post #10 of 38

Interesting! I'll have to try it!

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:07pm
post #11 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzCuteCupcakes

kristiemarie, when you say you put 1/2 cup of crisco into your mmf, did you put it in the microwave along with the marshmellows?

I need to make some this week and I am seriously thinking about doing this

I only use MMF with 1/2 c shortening. I have never melted the shortening. I use my kitchen aid for most of the work. I will coat the bowl in crisco and the dough hook. Add melted mallows, 1 tsp extract, 1/4 c shortening (color now if needed) mix a little add a couple of cups of powdered sugar, mix, add 1/8 cup shortening, more powdered sugar, mix, 1/8 c shortening then add the rest of the powdered sugar or just enough until it feels right! Most of the time when the fondant becomes too much for the kitchenaid to handle I will take it out and knead the rest in by hand. Works great and hardly any sticky mess!

MissCuteCupcakes Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:14pm
post #12 of 38

ooooh ok....i got it now! thanks alot!

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:15pm
post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

Everything in my gallery...cakes, figures, purse handles, modeled pieces... everything is MMF with a 1/2 cup of Crisco melted right in w/ the MM's!
I read the tip posted by jeking awhile ago and tried it...LOVED it!

(Actually I reduced to 1/3 cup a few times when I was planning to use lots of color...not anymore though)

I recently saw a YouTube video that showed putting the 1/2 cup crisco in the KA before putting in the PS...I tried it just last week and will never try THAT again - it was terribly difficult to work with (cracks, etc). Obviously, the crisco needs to be melted in the MM! I'm going to give it another go and add it to the MM; it does make sense that crisco would give it pliability!
Thanks FlourPots for the tip!!

saraujo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saraujo Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:18pm
post #14 of 38

I always use MMF and never add crisco to it. I use my Kitchenaid Mixer as well and only use the crisco to coat the bowls and hook. What I do add is some light corn syrup to my MMF like the recipe states, it comes out great and easy to roll out.

seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:21pm
post #15 of 38

Hey divinecc,

Do accents made with Crisco MMF dry out well? I use MMF for flowers, shoes, etc. Sometimes if I don't get enough powered sugar in the MMF the flowers, etc wilt and won't dry out. What kind of luck do you have with Crisco MMF drying?

jones5cm Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:23pm
post #16 of 38

I'm with you saraujo...that's how I have always made my MMF; however, you know how we always have to try anything new that we hear about because it just may work a little bit bettericon_smile.gif! But that's what's so great about this forum - you can see here so many more experiences of others! It seems that i'm always trying to tweek thingsicon_smile.gif

saraujo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saraujo Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:30pm
post #17 of 38

Seedrv- when I use MMF and want my flowers, etc, to dry quicker I just add some Tylose powder to it. Just one option you may want to try out.

I agree with you jones5cm that's why this forum is sooo great! I was wondering since it seems that we use the same recipe, when you tried adding the crisco did you replace it for the corn syrup or did you include it too???

divinecc Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:34pm
post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedrv

Hey divinecc,

Do accents made with Crisco MMF dry out well? I use MMF for flowers, shoes, etc. Sometimes if I don't get enough powered sugar in the MMF the flowers, etc wilt and won't dry out. What kind of luck do you have with Crisco MMF drying?

When I make figurines or flowers, I always add tylose powder to the finished MMF. They will dry way faster and won't sag. I made a fairy princess figurine once without the tylose and let it set for a few days...when all was said and done it looked like a pregnant fairy icon_lol.gif Lucky for me it was for a baby shower anyways....I will never do that again!

MissCuteCupcakes Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:36pm
post #19 of 38

jones5cm, melting the crisco sounds like a better option...i dont have a KA mixer so i cant imagine trying to need in 1/2 cup of solid shortening by hand lol

saraujo brings about a good point about adding some light corn syrup...anybody else try this?

divinecc Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:39pm
post #20 of 38

Here is the pic of the fairy! http://cakecentral.com//gallery/1887558 This was one of my first cakes and my first cupcake tower so don't laugh! icon_lol.gif BTW: Don't use double sided tape to cover your cake boards in July, it gets so hot and peels up! icon_wink.gif

seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:49pm
post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinecc

Here is the pic of the fairy! http://cakecentral.com//gallery/1887558 This was one of my first cakes and my first cupcake tower so don't laugh! icon_lol.gif BTW: Don't use double sided tape to cover your cake boards in July, it gets so hot and peels up! icon_wink.gif

Very cute! But stupid question time. Can someone eat MMF with tylose in it? I bake a lot of kids' cakes and they want to eat EVERYTHING!

jones5cm Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:51pm
post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraujo

Seedrv- when I use MMF and want my flowers, etc, to dry quicker I just add some Tylose powder to it. Just one option you may want to try out.

I agree with you jones5cm that's why this forum is sooo great! I was wondering since it seems that we use the same recipe, when you tried adding the crisco did you replace it for the corn syrup or did you include it too???

I just added the crisco to the PS in the mixer to the same recipe that I usually use (including the karo). I'll see if I can locate the youtube video that i saw (it was just last week when I was doing my casket cake).

jones5cm Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 3:34pm
post #23 of 38

Found it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFdOByutk88&NR=1
(hope it attaches) she just plops the 1/2 cup crisco right in the KA...well, it did not work so well for me!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 4:17pm
post #24 of 38

It gets kneaded in in some way or another when I make it whether it's smeared on the counter, on my hands or what but it gets in there.

jones5cm Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 4:51pm
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

It gets kneaded in in some way or another when I make it whether it's smeared on the counter, on my hands or what but it gets in there.

Yeah, sure; but a half of a cup?? that's a lot more that I use to coat everything to keep it from sticking! I only use a tbs or so for that purpose. When I tried this method, not only was the MMF 'dry' (I'm sure from adding too much PS to make it 'non-sticky to touch'; but it cracked even while rolling it out on the counter. you know how the edges will stick to the rolling pin and just tear?...that's what it kept doing. I couldn't get it thin enough, so when I put it on a square cake, all 4 corners just separated - it was definitely a do-over!

all4cake Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 4:57pm
post #26 of 38

I measure out 1 cup ( I make it using 2lbs of marshmallows and 6 (the whole 6) lbs of ps at a time and knead it ALL in...whether it's on the counter, or on my hands...

ETA: and I smear an additonal amount all over it before I wrap it to rest overnight.

jones5cm Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 5:12pm
post #27 of 38

Oh, ok! your making about 3 times more MMF than I do at one time. 16oz. and 2lbs of PS is all that I usually make at one timeicon_smile.gif

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 5:57pm
post #28 of 38

Hey, another tip if kneading by hand, is to do it right in the large bowl you've melted the MM's & Crisco in.
Why make a mess on the counter or table, LOL!

I put the bowl in my empty kitchen sink and knead with one hand while holding it in place with the other.

all4cake Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 6:06pm
post #29 of 38

FlourPots, I tried that after reading that tip a while back...my bowl isn't big enough to accommodate all the ps.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 6:10pm
post #30 of 38

In response to a post way up there, tylose is edible. If you use too much (like I did the other day), it tastes like you've put lemon juice in the fondant, but it IS edible. I don't make MMF or any other fondant if I can help it, but I add vegetable shortening to my ready-made fondant. It makes it much easier to work with and it doesn't stick to everything. Strangely enough, if you put the shortening on the board you're rolling it out on, it sticks, but if you put it into the fondant it keeps it from sticking. Go figure!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%