Definition Of Cottage Food Bill/law ?s

Business By Mfattore Updated 15 Mar 2011 , 6:53pm by Mfattore

Mfattore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mfattore Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 4

I realize this may vary by area but generally speaking.....

Does "cottage food" mean produced by a baker from thier home without a license? I was reading some info and it really confused me. I thought if your area had a cottage food law that you were able to license your home kitchen. Am I way off base or are there 2 different types of home businesses out there? I am a hobbyist but since WA state is working on a cottage food law I was interested in being able to charge."Thanks!

3 replies
Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 4

You need to call your local health department for a true and accurate explaination. icon_smile.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 4

There is a cottage food law working its way through the system in WA:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7053510-.html&sid=d00e2a9b00c02fef33d19b97499fc60f

From what I've seen there are three basic categories of food production laws: the most liberal allows people to make food in their home kitchen without an inspection as long as the food is labeled as such; there is a middle ground where a home inspection is required, but the inspection is not as critical as for regular commercial kitchens; and finally, in states without cottage food laws, it may still be possible for a kitchen on your home property to pass inspection as long as relatively strict requirements are met.

Mfattore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mfattore Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%