Round Cake .... Sharp Edges....

Decorating By momdalejr Updated 16 Mar 2011 , 1:33pm by kristiemarie

momdalejr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momdalejr Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 7

Could you tell me how to get sharp edges on a round cake... When I bake my cakes I do flip them.. but the edges are still round.. I want sharp clean edges... I am a buttercream person... so.... is the trick in the type of pan you use.... thank you..

6 replies
gramof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramof5 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 7

If you are using Wilton pans, they don't have a sharp edge where the sides meet the bottom. I use Magic Line pans because they do have a sharp edge. Don't know about Fat Daddio pans, maybe someone who has them can tell you. icon_biggrin.gif

momdalejr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momdalejr Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you for the info... did a search on the net and found the magic line pans... will have to order them.. thank you again..

gramof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramof5 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 7

I've been using the same Magic Line pans for over 30 years, and they're still in great shape thumbs_up.gif

JoMarch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoMarch Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 8:27am
post #5 of 7

Not a buttercream expert but I do recall reading somewhere on CC that the shape of the cake underneath isn't what determines the sharpness of your corners... you can have really round corners on the cake itself but still get sharp edges with your icing.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 8:48am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMarch

Not a buttercream expert but I do recall reading somewhere on CC that the shape of the cake underneath isn't what determines the sharpness of your corners... you can have really round corners on the cake itself but still get sharp edges with your icing.

This is true, but it's very nice to have the foundation of nice sharp cake corners, especially if you are a hobby baker and don't have the fancy schmancy tools like bench scrapers, decorator's turn table etc. to decorate with. Fat Daddio has rounded corners (thumbsdown.gif), but Magic Line, Chicago Metalic and even Wilton Professional series have nice sharp corners to their pans. Check Amazon, they are running a 4 for 3 promotion on most of their kitchenware, I just ordered some new pans myself and am getting the 4th free thumbs_up.gif

Free is teh awesome.

Jen

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 1:33pm
post #7 of 7

I literally just asked this question and was given great answers as to how to ice it to make the edges cleaner...but nothing about the pans. I would bet now that my lines would be MUCH cleaner if I used different pans!

Thanks so much! I am checking out the Magic Line pans now!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%