I Need Help Please

Decorating By konny Updated 14 Mar 2011 , 12:49am by konny

konny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
konny Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 5

I need to do a cake but the person got everything I need fondant, cake mix etc how do I charge per hour?... really don't know how many hours Im going to take maybe around 6hrs... it is a 3 tier cake have polka dots and zebra stripes with a big bow in the top.

Thanks

4 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 5

Do you have your own costing info determined. I figured out my cost of ingredients in a spreadsheet. I would calculate your regular cake price then deduct what you would have spent in ingredients and that would be the cost of the cake. I'm new enough I'm bad at estimating my time. I'm good at figuring my costicon_smile.gif

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 5

Is this your first 3 tier cake? I think by the time you bake, set up your layers (crumb coat & fill), allow them to settle prior to covering them in fondant.. then finally get around to decorating, you may find that you will well and truely exceed 6 hours. I would sit down and research your ingredients and materials down to the last - fondant (whether it be home made or ready to roll), colour gels, cake mix ingredients, bc or ganache ingredients, cake drums & masonite cake board. After you have worked out the actual cost to make the cake you can then work on how much you want to pay yourself per hour.. be realistic with your time frame. However, if this method doesn't suit, because if this is your first time you will benefit from the experience and may take longer to complete.. therefore you may feel it unfair and unrealistic to charge by the hour.. you may want to charge per serve.. maybe $6.50 per serve? I would go to the wilton site and check out their serving chart and coincide with the appropriate pans you are using. Good luck.. BTW remember to practice your stacking technique prior to making the all important big cake.. practice makes perfect and makes the final experience a LOT less stressful! HTH

konny Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 12:48am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Do you have your own costing info determined. I figured out my cost of ingredients in a spreadsheet. I would calculate your regular cake price then deduct what you would have spent in ingredients and that would be the cost of the cake. I'm new enough I'm bad at estimating my time. I'm good at figuring my costicon_smile.gif

thank you

konny Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 12:49am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiepiecupcake

Is this your first 3 tier cake? I think by the time you bake, set up your layers (crumb coat & fill), allow them to settle prior to covering them in fondant.. then finally get around to decorating, you may find that you will well and truely exceed 6 hours. I would sit down and research your ingredients and materials down to the last - fondant (whether it be home made or ready to roll), colour gels, cake mix ingredients, bc or ganache ingredients, cake drums & masonite cake board. After you have worked out the actual cost to make the cake you can then work on how much you want to pay yourself per hour.. be realistic with your time frame. However, if this method doesn't suit, because if this is your first time you will benefit from the experience and may take longer to complete.. therefore you may feel it unfair and unrealistic to charge by the hour.. you may want to charge per serve.. maybe $6.50 per serve? I would go to the wilton site and check out their serving chart and coincide with the appropriate pans you are using. Good luck.. BTW remember to practice your stacking technique prior to making the all important big cake.. practice makes perfect and makes the final experience a LOT less stressful! HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%