So Depressed...

Lounge By traci_doodle Updated 15 Mar 2011 , 4:04am by Marianna46

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 8

I've been working on a cake for over a week for my daughter's first birthday party on Saturday. I stayed up past midnight last night frosting and torting and carving. I was trying out a topsy turvy and everything was going wrong. I made a poor choice of cake, and the frosting was not sticking to the crumb, and when I finally got it together, it started leaning. My top tier still won't stand up straight. I finally got it looking okay, and covered in fondant. Now today my 3-year-old discovered it and poked her little fingers all over the fondant. I am so depressed. I don't think I have the time or the money to make/buy more fondant. I just hope I have enough left to patch something together.

7 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 8

Oh, man, I know how disheartening this is, but I've become an expert at retrievals from cake disasters! Is it a cake you could put some flowers or polka dots on to cover the holes? I really hope everything turns out okay and that your day picks up from here!

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 8

Don't get down. It happens to all of us at some time or the other. I've had disaster cakes that made me cry. You might just have to start over and make a simple buttercream cake and forget your original idea of what you wanted. You know, you can pull off the fondant, wipe off the excess icing, knead it and reuse it. I've done this before too.

I know first birthdays are a big deal but really, she won't know the difference. Don't be so hard on yourself. Make something simple or try again.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

Don't get down. It happens to all of us at some time or the other. I've had disaster cakes that made me cry. You might just have to start over and make a simple buttercream cake and forget your original idea of what you wanted. You know, you can pull off the fondant, wipe off the excess icing, knead it and reuse it. I've done this before too.

I know first birthdays are a big deal but really, she won't know the difference. Don't be so hard on yourself. Make something simple or try again.

I agree with Kathy. Sometimes what you plan in your head just doesn't seem to want to work out right in reality, no matter how hard you try. It has happened to me more times than I would like to admit. My saving grace was that no one else knew what my plans had been....they just loved how the cake turned out.

Marianna46 Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 8

So, traci_doodle, how did it go? Are you feeling better today? I really hope so!

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 8

Don't be depressed...look at it this way...the one that was should be impressed by the cake (the 3 year old) ultimately was...or she wouldn't have stuck her fingers in it. I know it doesn't seem funny now, but it really is...you should take photos and post. We all love cake/kid stories. Who cares what anyone else thinks, your daughter loved it. After all, isn't that all that matters.

Edited to add: Sorry, I misread the post. The cake is for you one year old and the three year old destroyed it. I'm sorry this happened to you, but you will look back and see the humor in it. I hope you were able to salvage it. Kids...you gotta love 'em.

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 8:28pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks everybody for the encouragement. In the end, I decided the cake was not salvageable. I had enough ingredient to redo the cake (just not the fondant), so I remade a cake and just frosted it very simply. I had made gumpaste candles for my previous design, so I added those on top. Even though it was really simple, my friends seemed very impressed. My 1-year-old was very impressed as well. icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 4:04am
post #8 of 8

I'm so happy for you that everything turned out so well. One of the most wonderful things about children, especially small ones, is their ability to be impressed by things we take for granted!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%