Ganache,cupcakes,fridge ?

Decorating By sillywabbitz Updated 13 Mar 2011 , 1:51pm by sillywabbitz

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 22

I made ganache using the 1:1 ratio as frosting for cupcakes. I have scoured the web regarding ganache and shelf life and I can't get a straight answer. I know I can leave ganache that is 2 parts choc to 1 part cream at room temp 65 degrees for a couple of days but what about the 1:1? I hate to refrigerate cupcakes because I don't want them to dry out. Advice anyone?

21 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 22

I personally would not, but that's just me and doesn't really answer your question.

Cupcakes will dry out at room temp just as fast as they'll dry out in the fridge...I always try to make cupcakes as last minute as possible (the day before they are due) whenever I can.....if I HAVE to bake them ahead, I wrap tightly and freeze to keep them fresh.

But I try to never leave cupcakes iced and waiting for more than a day and a half or so.

sillywabbitz Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 22

Hi kitagirl,
You would not what? Leave them out or refrigerate them? Right now I'm paranoid so I have them in a cupcake carrier sealed with press and seal in the fridge. They're for tomorrow so hopefully they'll makeicon_sad.gif

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 22

I've heard that boiling the whipping cream kills all the becteria like pasteurising milk which IMO makes sense & I read somwhere on here that when both the choclate is mixed with the cream it does a chemical reaction that prevents it from turning bad..

Question: Why doesn't ganache need refrigeration?

Answer: Because of its high content of sugar and fat. Micro-organisms need water to grow. When the sugar content is so high, the sugar binds the water in such a way that micro-organisms cannot utilize it. Technically its called "water activity control."

this was in this thread

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-695858-0-days0-orderasc-.html&sid=2b7d3f9bdf86a90877be2860f70c46ac

these have some extra info

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-661775-.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-624310-.html

maitej17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maitej17 Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 22

I usually bake them the night prior as well (to me, a dry cupcake, is worst than a dry cake). Is there anyway you can frost them the morning of to avoid the issue w/the shelf life for the 1:1 ratio?

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 3:02pm
post #6 of 22

According to "planet cake" you are safer if you refrigrate the ganache.

HTH

GANACHE & FOOD SAFETY!

http://www.planetcake.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=239

sillywabbitz Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 3:03pm
post #7 of 22

Cupcations, thanks. The third link is the one I found that made me question the 1:1 ratio being less shelf stable.
Maitje, it's too lateicon_sad.gif I already frosted them. That said I dipped most of them so the cupcakes should be sealed or close to it. I guess we'll find out tomorrow how they held upicon_sad.gif

maitej17 Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 3:06pm
post #8 of 22

I hope they turn out great!
Keep us posted! icon_smile.gif

sillywabbitz Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 3:13pm
post #9 of 22

Thanks everyone. I will let you know how it goes. In my reading I've learned two things, shelf life is better with a higher ratio of choc so next time I'll use 2:1. I also found out shelf life is imProved by adding alcohol to the ganacheicon_smile.gif so next time maybe a little liquor might be in ordericon_smile.gif

maitej17 Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 3:19pm
post #10 of 22

Hmmm....interesting. Thanks for sharing that info.
Alcohol always makes everything better! icon_biggrin.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 6:02pm
post #11 of 22

I do my cupcakes backwards... make frosting, ganache, filling, early the day before. I make the cupcakes last on the evening before. Then I finish them. I always have the baked good about a day to 12 hours old when I deliver. The icings, etc., can be brought back to room temp and done just before delivery.

sillywabbitz Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 6:22pm
post #12 of 22

scp1127 do you refrigerate your ganache?

scp1127 Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 8:47pm
post #13 of 22

I am the last person to ask about ganache. But I have made a big batch of it and experimented with it over a period of days, adding flavors. I put it in the refrigerator overnight, took it out and left it to come to room temp, or microwaved it on low power to play with it. I have a confession... I do not like chocolate and neither do my two daughters who work with me. Since deciding to open the bakery, I have had to develop chocolate recipes. My ganache was good and the consistency was right, but I keep shoving aside recipes with ganache because I don't like it. But I know the rest of the world loves it.

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 8:58pm
post #14 of 22

Scp if you don't mind me asking what is the ratio you use to cover cupcakes 1:1 or 2:1??
And when you say 1 cup wc & 1 cup chocolate do you mean melted choclate or normal choclate like choc morsels or choc chips?
TIA

scp1127 Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 9:55pm
post #15 of 22

I know I used real chocolate from a block and I am not sure which ratio. I will look up my notes tonight and see what I did. I really am not very experienced at this. I just kept playing with it. I know at some point I added corn syrup to a portion and I liked it better. The corn syrup may have been why I got to play with it and why it was more flexible. I have seen it in several recipes on the internet. It took the edge off the chocolate. I wish I had a taste for chocolate.

scp1127 Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 10:07pm
post #16 of 22

I just looked up refrigerating ganache and all of the big recipe sites say to do it. Then let it come back to room temp. So you can do ganache, fillings and icing ahead and bake last. It really is so much less stressful because the baking is the easy part. All the rest has cleanup for each and the different ingredients.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 10:33pm
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitsky

HTH

GANACHE & FOOD SAFETY!

Interesting that Paris says there to refrigerate ganache! In her book 'Planet Cake' I'm pretty sure they tell you to leave ganache at room temperature overnight after making it...then put it on the cake next day and leave the ganached cake (at room temp again) for 24hours to set...then the following day (still at room temp) cover with fondant and decorate...and if I remember correctly their book says that they never refrigerate any of their finished cakes.

scp1127 Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 10:46pm
post #18 of 22

I do alot of things for my family, such as leaving out icing, but I am uncomfortable doing it with the public. You don't know what they are going to do with the cupcake. What if they leave it out three days, but it has already been out for awhile with you? That is why I do everything at the last minute. Not really, but I work on a backwards schedule to have the finished product ready as close to the time out the door as possible. My recipes are scratch, so my products don't have a long shelf life.

sillywabbitz Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 10:54pm
post #19 of 22

Coral3,
I have used the PlanetCake ganache under fondant technique and that recipe is 2:1 choc to cream and I had it out for several days following their instructions. Worked great no problems no break down nothing went bad. The reason I'm stressed out this time is I made a pouring ganache of 1:1 choc to cream and it is much softer and has a higher moisture content. Moisture is the real enemy as far as I can tell. So next time I'll make the 2:1 and just dip them while it's warm and let them set up firmicon_smile.gif

Everything I do is for friends and family but I still worry about it. I am under the highly paranoid category when it comes to food safety because I can never get a really straight answer because it honestly does just depend..on the recipe, the ingredients, the climate etc but it freaks me outicon_smile.gif

Thanks again everyone. We're eating a couple of the cupcakes tonight so that will be a good test run for tomorrow.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 10:57pm
post #20 of 22

Thank you, scp1127, I'm liking your backwards method. I'm going to try that next time I make cupcakes.

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 4:27am
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitsky

HTH

GANACHE & FOOD SAFETY!

Interesting that Paris says there to refrigerate ganache! In her book 'Planet Cake' I'm pretty sure they tell you to leave ganache at room temperature overnight after making it...then put it on the cake next day and leave the ganached cake (at room temp again) for 24hours to set...then the following day (still at room temp) cover with fondant and decorate...and if I remember correctly their book says that they never refrigerate any of their finished cakes.

Well, that's interesting! icon_lol.gif
I do not have her book. Maybe you can e-mail her and ask her.
Let us know if you do, thanks.

sillywabbitz Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 1:51pm
post #22 of 22

Just thought I would update everyone the cupcakes were a HUGE hit. They stayed moist, the ganache was great...all in all a success. I think I will make the ganache the same day i plan on serving next time and definitely use the higher ratio of chocolate but it's good to know that two days in the sealed carrier didnt hurt thenicon_smile.gif

Thanks for all the help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%