So Discouraged....

Business By HappyCake10609 Updated 10 Mar 2011 , 2:58pm by jones5cm

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 5

I just have to vent a little because I'm so discouraged right now... I've only been at this for about 7 months and have had such great feedback from friends, family and strangers alike. Everyone is surprised that this is only a hobby for me and I've been greatly encouraged to start a business. I even one my first ever cake competition a few weeks ago (I was moved from the beginner to advanced division!), I spoke with one of the judges and she encouraged me to go ahead with a business...

I live in NH, a state that does allow home baking business under a Homestead License... for months I've been researching and trying to work up the gumption to go for it. I'm a renter, so I finally got permission from my landlord, I feel like I had a decent plan for how I would get started. I have done SO much research in the past few months...

Well, I had a few questions about the regulations for the bathroom I have attached to the kitchen, so I contacted my state's health department. I was then directed to my city health department because I am in a "self-inspecting" city... Anyway, I just heard back this morning, my city does not offer the Homestead License for my home kitchen.

In order to start my business I would have to construct a separate kitchen (not an option as a renter) or rent from an already licensed kitchen... I know I am not the first person with this dilemma, but I'm really feeling discouraged because my plan for my ideal situation is not the reality I thought it was.. I am a stay at home mom, I was hoping to start small so I could be home with my son and make a little extra money here and there until he was in preschool/school and I could devote more time to it. If I were to rent space that would take me out of the home, and it is really important to me to be here with my son. I also, really enjoy my family time when my husband and step-daughter get home in the evenings, so I don't want to "work nights"- my son is also still getting up 2-3 times at night so I can't be out much after he goes to bed. We're still a few years off from being ready to buy a home...

Sorry for going on... I know my problem is not a unique one... just needed to rant a little bit because I am a tad bit heart broken over this... I know I only have a few years until my son is in school and my options open a bit, but I was hoping to strike while the iron is hot, so to speak... I've been enjoying my hobby of making cakes for friends and my extensive family, but it is an expensive hobby... not one I can keep doing at my current rate at least....

Anyway, thanks for "listening"

icon_sad.gif

4 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 5

I am sorry you are going through this right now - I really do feel your pain. I live in a rent house and have kids at home - even if my kids weren't at home I don't think I'd want a storefront though because of having to be there ALL the time and I doubt I'd have time for my kids. I would rather wait and build a separate kitchen when we buy a house - but waiting is hard! And this is an expensive hobby - I have had to cut down what I am able to do. I know it stinks.

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks! Waiting IS hard! I don't think I want to own a storefront either, I agree about not wanting to be there all the time. I like being able to work when I want to/am able to... and being home with my son is my most important priority. Even after he's in school I want to be home when he is. I have a step daughter and I've seen the difference in her behavior and school work when she went to daycare after school and when she's home with me to help with homework... Anyway, I digress... I guess I have to wait a bit longer... I'm just a bit sad about it.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 5

I live in one of the most expensive areas to start. I took a few years to gather equipment, design business cards, do my business plan, etc. I stored the equipment in my garage. Then I saved for construction. During that time, I didn't even spend money on iTunes. I opened debt free. With a plan, you will eventually get there. If you don't start, you will never get there. So spend this down time to perfect and plan your business. Study the competition and get better than they are. Buy equipment, and save, save, save.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:58pm
post #5 of 5

I am just a hobby baker with no intentions of opening my own business; I have a full-time job that I love. Simple curiosity lead me to read this post. But after reading them, it makes me just want to order a cake from you!!! Best of luck and remember, we're all here to encourage you to follow your dreams and it's all in the prize ahead that makes it worth the climbicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%