Muffin Cups Of Doom?

Baking By RedRoxx Updated 14 Mar 2011 , 11:42am by scp1127

RedRoxx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedRoxx Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 2:28am
post #1 of 14

I just read a blogger's review of Wilton's nut & party cups that I have seen in a number of cupcake pictures, which I've been wanting to try. I can't find may reviews for the difficultly in unwrapping cupcakes and muffins, but the blogger blasts them.

Are they worth using? Are they really that hard to eat the cakes with?

From cupcakeblog.com

13 replies
Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:48am
post #2 of 14

Good question & good timing I recently bought them but havent tried them yet....sorry Im no help but ill be watching this one thumbs_up.gif

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 6:22am
post #3 of 14

i've never used these, but i've read that other people cut little slits in the lip so the customer can just pull that down, ripping the paper a little. maybe that'll help? lol

RedRoxx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedRoxx Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 6:24am
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcations

Good question & good timing I recently bought them but havent tried them yet....sorry Im no help but ill be watching this one thumbs_up.gif

Well, report back!!

Quote:
Quote:

i've never used these, but i've read that other people cut little slits in the lip so the customer can just pull that down, ripping the paper a little. maybe that'll help? lol[/qoute]

That could work....huuummm

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 7:46am
post #5 of 14

I have used them as an experiment. They are difficult to unwrap, but they did tear with a tug. I think cutting a slit would fix the problem, but it would have to be big enough for the recipient to notice. And wouldn't the public think that it was a tear? I decided that they just weren't worth the trouble.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 7:46am
post #6 of 14

I cut small slits in them when I have used them in the past. Just a quick small snip is all it takes.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 14

I can't remember the site but you can buy much prettier cupcake liners in this style - pleated.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 7:21pm
post #8 of 14

Sorry - I think it was pleated - though the regular liners sort of have "pleats" - but the ones I saw have folded pleats - they were really pretty.

scp1127 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 12:28am
post #9 of 14

I tried some of the pleated ones and they greased up and looked terrible (colors and white). I think that greaseproof are needed on those and I definitely didn't have that. Mine were thinner. They were easy to peel. One brand tried was the Michaels Celebrate... terrible on the bleed through.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 6:13am
post #10 of 14

The Blogger, IMHO, is spot on. They are a massive pain. There is a bakery here that uses them as part of their schtik (I don't think they use Wilton, they are probably Reynolds), and getting the cupcake out of them is really a pain. They are also decieveing - they look like you are getting a fair amount of cake but it's mostly paper.

But on the bright side, you don't need a cupcake pan, all you need is a sheet pan. They stand up on their own (or so I've been told).

Jen

jo3d33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo3d33 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 7:10am
post #11 of 14

I made popcorn cupcakes for my daughters school today. I baked them in regular liners and put them into the nut/party cup. The kindergartners sure had a hard time getting their cupcakes out even with the additional liner in there. We (the parents) had to help most of the kids get them out.

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 7:34pm
post #12 of 14

Didn't someone a few weeks back say there was a problem with the Wilton ones because they were waxed or something, making them unsafe to bake in? Anyone besides me remember that?

feltphoto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feltphoto Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 12:28am
post #13 of 14

I have used some and they look great but I had the same complaint... how do you get them out. I found that I could pull on the pleats and open the cup. That was the easiest way for me. But they are sturdy and do look nice.

scp1127 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 11:42am
post #14 of 14

I have thought of offering them with a tiny fork sticking in the top off to the side. With this application, some of the messier cupcakes would be in a better container. But this would be on only a chosen few flavors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%