Perfect Cricut Fondant - Duff's!

Decorating By sam777111 Updated 9 Mar 2011 , 4:00am by Chonte

sam777111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sam777111 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 5

After weeks of just wanting to throw the Cricut in the trash because no fondant or gumpaste, no matter what I did, seemed to work properly, I finally found my answer - Duff's fondant! It worked perfectly on very small, complex skulls that I had to do for some pirate girl cupcakes. I greased the loading sheet well, placed the pre-rolled fondant on it and I rolled it to further thinness. Then I took a smoother and ran it over the fondant carefully, trimmed my edges and stuck it in the freezer for 15 minutes. Voila! It perfectly (really) cut 40 1 1/2" skulls! After cutting, I stuck it back in the freezer for a few minutes, and then used my tools to pick away extras. It worked wonderfully on lettering too - see the pics in my photo section! Just relieved that I didn't throw my money away! I'm happy - can you tell?!

4 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam777111

After weeks of just wanting to throw the in the trash because no fondant or gumpaste, no matter what I did, seemed to work properly, I finally found my answer - Duff's fondant! It worked perfectly on very small, complex skulls that I had to do for some pirate girl cupcakes. I greased the loading sheet well, placed the pre-rolled fondant on it and I rolled it to further thinness. Then I took a smoother and ran it over the fondant carefully, trimmed my edges and stuck it in the freezer for 15 minutes. Voila! It perfectly (really) cut 40 1 1/2" skulls! After cutting, I stuck it back in the freezer for a few minutes, and then used my tools to pick away extras. It worked wonderfully on lettering too - see the pics in my photo section! Just relieved that I didn't throw my money away! I'm happy - can you tell?!

Congratulations.....I do much the same, though I am using Satin Ice and it works fine for me. BUT....I did have an accident a few days ago.....I was cutting some designs, turned and tripped over the cord, knocked my cricut off the counter and broke the door off of it! Still works fine....I am watching for them to go on sale again and I am going to buy another and hold onto the broken one for back up.

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 5

Duff's fondant is made by Fondarific. Duff's is just more expensive because of the name. Save yourself some money if you can.

sam777111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sam777111 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 5

Jeff_Arnett
That stinks! Hope you get another one soon - now that I can use it - it's fun!
TPACakeGirl -
I only purchase DUFF with 50% off at Michael's - $10.00 for 2 lbs has to be cheaper than Fondarific I think, but thanks for the tip!

Chonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonte Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:00am
post #5 of 5

i just got the Cricut cake mini today!! Joann's is having a sale, $299 for the regular and $99 for the mini sale goes until the 19th

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%