I Have A 5 Hour Travel Distance For 4 Tier Cake

Decorating By mccrayg0902 Updated 9 Mar 2011 , 12:56am by mccrayg0902

mccrayg0902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccrayg0902 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 9

Okay. I have to deliver a 4 tiered cake in Orlando a month from now and it is close to a 5 hour travel distance from my house. Should I stack it when I get there or already have it stacked, and what support system should I use. I have never stacked anything larger than 3 tiers and I'm just 18 so my cake experience is limited thank you in advance icon_smile.gif

8 replies
kupcak3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kupcak3 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 9

What are the sizes of the tiers? If it was me, I would definitely stack it on site. And depending on icing/fillings u can fit the tiers in coolers or something along those line for the drive. As for supporting cake, theres those wilton cake supports, or something along those lines are do something on your own. I use straws for smaller cakes and wooden dials for larger cakes, but with four tiers the cakes need to be on something solid probably more than just cardboard.

mccrayg0902 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 9

the sizes are 15'',12'',9'',6''

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 9

I have travelled 8 hrs before. I frosted each cake, put them in the back of my suv. Drove with the ac on high and got there in plenty of time to decorate and put together. You may be able to stack the top two together and the bottom two together. But I would not stack the whole thing. I use the stress free cake supports and love them. Good luck

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 9

I've traveled about 4 hrs before (nephew's wedding) and I personally wouldn't do it with a stacked cake. I'd assemble it there.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 9

I have often traveled long distances w/stacked cakes BUT.......... I don't recommend it.
Not knowing what your driving habits are, what the roads are like, and other things to consider I say do as much decorating as possible on each tier then stack when you get there. Yes, as was suggested you can stack the two largest tiers, then travel w/the other 2 seperate. The reason for not stacking the two smaller tiers is that the 9" is not much of a base w/something on top of it. It could fall over in transporticon_sad.gif Better safe than sorry with that distance.
BUT EXTRA SURE to take a repair kit along! You might think you are taking every thing but the kitchen sink icon_smile.gif Better to take something along and not need it then the opposit for sure.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 12:09am
post #7 of 9

I don't like driving across town with a stacked cake. Too many unpredictables. It seems safer to box the cakes separately and stack them onsite. I prefer dowels. Good luck, hon!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 12:23am
post #8 of 9

Decorate as much as you can, but definitely stack on site.

mccrayg0902 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 12:56am
post #9 of 9

Thanks so much for the information. I'm thinking of using the idea to stack the bottom two tiers and leave the other two in boxes. Another question, how would fondant hold up on this far of a ride.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%