My Vulnerability On Display-This Is Long

Business By tigachu Updated 8 Mar 2011 , 12:59pm by tigachu

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:17am
post #1 of 12

Hello there, CCers! I have a confession to make....I frequent this site everyday, reading and sometimes replying to posts but mostly in awe of the beautiful photos ya'll post of your work. Well, I am not great at decorating AT ALL. I can make moist scratch cakes but decorating? Nope, not a strong point of mine. For quite some time now, I have been too ashamed to post pics of my work-until now. I posted two pics- one of my daughter's cupcakes and the other was my sister's birthday cake. I know I will never learn until I could be completely honest with not only ya'll but myself, too. Everyone here has a wealth of knowledge and I am now open to suggestions and criticisms but please go easy on me icon_redface.gif I really want to practice and get better.

Sorry this was so long and thank you for reading this icon_lol.gif

11 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:31am
post #2 of 12

You said it...practice is the key! You can go back in my photos to my earliest ones and see a definite improvement in my work over the years. Everyone improves with practice!

With only two photos there is not a lot to "judge" your decorating skills but your cupcake swirls were VERY nicely done! So that's a great sign.... you do well with a piping bag...now practice makes perfect!!!

Keep up the good work!

tigachu Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:34am
post #3 of 12

Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement! I can only hope/wish to create wonderful cakes like you someday!! thumbs_up.gif I will continue to practice and post.

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:39am
post #4 of 12

I agree 100% with Kitagrl! It's all about practice! I starting making cakes about a year and a half ago, and like Kitagrl said, you can see that my first few cakes needed some work, but it's all about trial and error. You'll make mistakes along the way (just like EVERYONE does) and you'll find out what works best for you. And your piping looks great! I, personally have a hard time with piping, and I don't practice it much because it scares me!

But keep practicing and you'll get better! We're all here to give you suggestions and ideas on doing better on each cake so if you ever have questions, post away!!!

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:51am
post #5 of 12

Yep, practice. I volunteered to do cakes for free for everyone I knew even my massage therapist! I gave dozen of free cakes and learned a lot! Practice.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:52am
post #6 of 12

OMG - as good as my work may have been "for a beginner" it has only improved over time. I look at the cakes I made way back when that I was so proud of, and think - oh, have I come a long way!!

tigachu Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:59am
post #7 of 12

Thank you all for the encouragement! I am anxious to practice more icon_smile.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:00am
post #8 of 12

Your heart cake is really sweet. If you are looking for a good tutorial in working with buttercream SugarShacks's Perfecting the Art of Buttercream is great. You can order it at www.sugaredproductions.com

The amazing decorators on CC can be intimidating but remember everyone has their 'first' cake. I'm glad you found the CC community. It's a great place to learn.

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:06am
post #9 of 12

Practice a lot!!!It is the only way,also reading and soaking in all the great advice on CC Here are the same type of cake,exactly a year apart.
2009 http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1513449
2010 http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1578670

Brettley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brettley Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:39am
post #10 of 12

I started decorating a year ago. And I still have TONS to learn. I tell ya, my first cake was something else. It was a slab cake blackboard, with a buttercream transferred bart simpson! Looking back now, it did not look so good, But I was proud and thats all that matters.
Practice makes perfect. I practiced alot on stryofoam, and still do! I made cakes for any/every occasion that arose, and still do that too. I found that youtube was/is a great resource! Keep at it, You will do great! Patience and practice.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 5:42am
post #11 of 12

oh always post your pics! Some of my saved favorites are cakes that are not the best in execution but I LUV'D the idea or the style! And even tho' I've been doing this for a few decades, I post pics of even my worst looking cakes, and I share them in threads as "You think YOUR cake was bad .... look at this one!" icon_lol.gif

tigachu Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 12:59pm
post #12 of 12

I cannot thank everyone enough! I am making a cake this weekend so I 'll be sure to post the pics for review, whether good or bad! I am planning to become legal within the next 8 months. I will just start out with selling cupcakes and practice my decorating skills within that time. I am not expecting to make a lot of money off of this (I also have a full time job). I just love to bake and I would only sell cuppies piped with basic designs (by order only) until I get better. In the mean time, I will continue to make free cakes and order the sugar shack videos--great suggestion, BTW! icon_smile.gif I really want to have my kitchen inspected and be licensed and insured so I can sell to those who have requested items, in the future.

I cannot thank you all enough

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%