Timing Of Decorating

Decorating By sugarandstuff Updated 8 Mar 2011 , 4:04am by Kitagrl

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:07am
post #1 of 8

If you have a cake to be delivered for Friday (for a Sat party) would it be ok to tort, fill and crumb coat Tuesday night, decorate Wed and Thurs night? My fillings are all ok to be room temp....I never seem to be able to get my timing down right - I do this part time, very limited hours at night after work plus dealing w/ a rental kitchen. I'm afraid to wait until Wed and Thurs in case I run into problems, yet it seems like a long time to stretch it out. Thanks

7 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:22am
post #2 of 8

I'd probably crumb coat and ice on Wednesday and then decorate Thursday, for a Friday delivery.

I refrigerate all my cakes though, just makes them easier to work with and easier to store, for me...also easier to transport.

sugarandstuff Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:24am
post #3 of 8

Do you refrigerate a cake with fondant on it? I've read it can cause problems w/ the decorations, so I've never tried it yet - but it sure would make life easier if I can.

Kitagrl Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:28am
post #4 of 8

Oh yes I refrigerate everything. I try to measure my fridge too and make sure every cake fits in! I have a guitar cake coming up and it will be the first cake I have not refrigerated in a couple years, so I'm a little nervous about it.

But yeah I have two refrigerators dedicated just to cakes and I put everything in there, always. No problems with the moistness or freshness of the cake, and no problems with fondant, nothing like that. Easier to ice, easier to cover in fondant. Some sweating in the summer, but just be sure you are always in a/c, and during transport keep the a/c in your car on full blast and it will be okay. I'd rather have a cold, firm, slightly sweating cake than a wobbly melting cake any day! haha.

sugarandstuff Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:36am
post #5 of 8

Wow, that's so great to know - thank you so much. The cake I am doing for this Friday is an open lid stacked gift box with gum paste flowers coming out the top and my sides to the gift boxes, I made out of gumpaste/fondant mix to make them very square (if that makes sense) I plan on adhering with chocolate - so you think all of that will be ok in the fridge? Would you leave the flowers out of the fridge or do you think they would be ok as well? My customer actually wanted chocolate ganache and raspberry for one of the fillings and I was going back and forth as to whether or not to do it b/c of my fridge fear lol!

Kitagrl Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:42am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandstuff

Wow, that's so great to know - thank you so much. The cake I am doing for this Friday is an open lid stacked gift box with gum paste flowers coming out the top and my sides to the gift boxes, I made out of gumpaste/fondant mix to make them very square (if that makes sense) I plan on adhering with chocolate - so you think all of that will be ok in the fridge? Would you leave the flowers out of the fridge or do you think they would be ok as well? My customer actually wanted chocolate ganache and raspberry for one of the fillings and I was going back and forth as to whether or not to do it b/c of my fridge fear lol!

Sure! Take a quick look at my photos....every cake you see, at least in the recent few years...anything that was cake, was refrigerated! Many of them included gumpaste decorations as well.

I usually use royal icing to attach box sides or whatever...have not tried chocolate for that before.

Good luck! Can't wait to see pix! Sounds great.

sugarandstuff Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:57am
post #7 of 8

Your cakes are so awesome! I hope one day I can pull of cakes 1/4 as good as yours icon_wink.gif Ok, I'm going to give it a whirl and I think I'll try the royal icing, probably much easier to deal with than chocolate - thanks again for the advice!

Kitagrl Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:04am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandstuff

Your cakes are so awesome! I hope one day I can pull of cakes 1/4 as good as yours icon_wink.gif Ok, I'm going to give it a whirl and I think I'll try the royal icing, probably much easier to deal with than chocolate - thanks again for the advice!

Aw thanks! Yeah I think the royal, too, is easier to tint to match the fondant so that its more invisible of a "glue" or "caulk" than chocolate.

Plus chocolate, I think, tends to become more brittle in the fridge than anything else, although I've used it for things on occasion.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%