Why Is It Almost Impossible To Have A Cake Business In Nj?

Lounge By mom2my3girlz Updated 7 Mar 2011 , 6:23pm by Manderly42

mom2my3girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2my3girlz Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 12:30am
post #1 of 5

It is illegal to bake from home in NJ so has anyone had any luck opening up a business in NJ? Any tips for me? I though maybe buying another house instead of renting. That way I will at least have equity and not pay high rent somewhere else.

4 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 9:06am
post #2 of 5

Many areas put all retail food under the same requirements. My areas do it, and although this will be unpopular to say on this site, I believe in the requirements. I am held to the same standards as Applebee's or the local grocery store, as I should be. It is very costly to open in these areas, but all of my competition have the same requirements, so we are on a level playing field.

Manderly42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manderly42 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 5

I'm in South Jersey and even the professional bakeries have a tough time staying open. I signed a petition a while back to pass a law to legalize home-based bakeries. Haven't heard anything on the progress, though...

Unfortunately, even buying another house is not good enough. It still has to be zoned for commercial use, otherwise it is no different than baking in YOUR home.

It's tough - I wish it wasn't.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 5

Where have you guys been?!!!

Please keep up with us. lol Go here for up-to-date happenings: http://www.facebook.com/pages/NJ-Home-Bakers-Bill/177330845646404

The petition was printed out, with 1,115 signatures, in January (by me) and sent to all 120 legislators (40 Senators and 80 Assemblypeople) on January 31st along with a two page letter, a presentation and five pertinent articles. I waited a short while and began making phone calls to make sure the mailing had been received, not filed away and to find out if there was any interest in sponsoring a bill. The result is that we now have a Senate Bill - S 2734 (please click on this link for information on this bill: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/ - bill search on the right hand side, put in number S2734). Also, if you haven't, please send your district's Senator and Assemblypeople (this info can be found at the link as well, but on the left hand side) letters, postcards, emails, or phone calls saying you support S2734. Also, please send an email to Senator Vitale (district 19) to NICELY ask him to post S2734 for a hearing. If you live in District 19, even better. Also please let me know if you've done any of this, in what District and what, if any, response you receive/have received.

Thanks.

Manderly42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manderly42 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 5

Here is what I sent to our legislators/assembly people (district icon_cool.gif:

"I am writing to kindly ask that you support bill S2734 permitting the sale of baked goods from home. For those of us with children and/or no jobs this bill would allow us opportunity to generate income while at the same time be home for our children. Thank you for your valuable time and consideration"

And a slightly longer version I sent to Senator Vitale:
Senator Vitale,
I am writing to kindly ask that you support bill S2734 permitting the sale of baked goods from home and to please post said bill for a hearing. For those of us with children and/or no jobs this bill would allow us opportunity to generate income while at the same time be home for our children.

With your support this possibility could become a reality! It might even stimulate the economy in our area (even if only slightly; any stimulation would be great!) Please consider supporting this bill. There are so many people who could benefit from it! People who've been laid off, new moms who are out of work (such as myself,) retirees who could use a little extra income. Not to mention the potential buyers of baked goods. Those working moms and dads (or anyone who works long hours - kids or no kids!) who don't have time/energy to make a fresh, homemade treat for their child's class, or a friend's baby shower or even for their own enjoyment. Not everyone enjoys the mass produced store bought baked goods, but at the same time don't want to spend a fortune at a professional bakeries. This bill will benefit a lot of people!

Thank you for your valuable time and consideration

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%