Pre-Cake Show Session.

Decorating By Sugarflowers Updated 6 Mar 2011 , 7:23pm by Sugarflowers

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 4:23am
post #1 of 3

A thought came to me that I hope will interest others.

What if there was a meeting place where entrants could bring their work to be gently critiqued 2-4 weeks before a show? A few experts that will not be judging at the show to be attended could look over the work and make suggestions to improve the work if needed. This will give anyone who is unsure of their work some encouragement and helpful tips. It can also help more experienced decorators to move out of their comfort zone or to be given some new ideas/techniques that will enhance their work.

I'm thinking there should a nominal fee to help cover the cost of space rental (if needed) and to help cover the costs of supplies or snacks and drinks.

This might be a fun way to get some feedback on our work before we enter a competition. It will also give some time to make any changes that want to be made. There have been many times that I wished I could have gotten some knowledgeable eyes before a show.

Please let me know what you think.

Michele

2 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 3

Michelle, first I want to say I have learned so much from your posts!

I'm a hobby caker and compete as often as I can. In my most recent competition, even though I was using dummies and started well in advance, I only finished one entry a week ahead and my second entry was finished just in time for me to shower and dress before bringing it to the show icon_smile.gif.

Of course, I compete at a MUCH lower level than what you're probably talking about.

Also, maybe I'm overly paranoid, but would you be concerned about a competitor seeing a design element on your cake and incorporating it on their own? No one would know who did it first and both dcorators could lose points on originality.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 3

I was talking about all levels of experience. Everyone can use a trained eye to help improve their work.

You might be right about stolen ideas. That never occurred to me. Oh well, it was just an idea.

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%