Why Is My Mmf So Tough?

Decorating By Spectra Updated 6 Mar 2011 , 11:41pm by cakesrock

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 3:13am
post #1 of 5

So I love how much more cost effective it is to make MMF, and I prefer the taste, but it takes me about an hour to knead that sucker so it's pliable enough to roll out and cover a cake! It drives me mad, and makes me want to purchase the stuff instead. I use the MMF recipe on here that has the corn syrup in it. Is it perhaps too much icing sugar? It's dead winter here and no humidity, and I'm at my wits end. Any suggestions??

4 replies
jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 3:49am
post #2 of 5

I made MMF for 5 yrs and now , I just started with Michele Foster's fondant recipe in recipe section and it's soo amazingly tasty, easy to work with, and awesome! NOW, I give up on the MMF stickiness and mess ! You otta try it and I promise you, you will LOVE it and it is so much easier to work with! PLUS you can use a mixer to make it! LEss stress and it's the best stuff on earth! I hesitated to try it ,but with everyone raving it,,they won't go back to MMF and it's CHEAP/ or same costs like making the MMF!

Let me know if that works for you..MMF is a pain in the butt! I hate it anymore..

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 4:19am
post #3 of 5

I love my mmf, and I also mix mine right up in my KA. But even if I didn't have my KA, I don't believe it should be that difficult. I never use all the powdered sugar they say to. I just mix mine up until it is sort of a play-doh consistency. Be sure to make it up a day ahead though. MMF works best after it has set at least overnight. What I do if I am mixing by hand is I put my marshmallows and water in the microwave for a couple of minutes, stirring once half way through. When I remove it from the microwave I stir in my vanilla/flavorings then I pour some powdered sugar on top. I use a big spoon and pull the marshmallow from the edge of the bowl onto the powdered sugar. Or if you prefer you can put the powdered sugar into a bowl and make a well to pour the marshmallows into. Just keep pulling the marshmallows into the sugar until it reaches a point you can handle it with shortening on your hands (No longer real sticky). Keep adding a little powdered sugar a little at a time until it reaches the "play-doh" stage. Wrap in a piece of plastic wrap and put in a ziploc storage bag. Let it rest overnight. Do Not refrigerate it. You don't need to. The next day when you are ready to use it, pop it in the microwave for a few seconds (like 15-20 seconds) at a time until it is soft enough to knead. Be careful not to overheat though, because it will burn you. Ask me how I know this. icon_sad.gif

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks, I've never tried the other recipe, so I might just give it a whirl! In regards to the MMF I am talking about after it has set about a day. I find it so NOT pliable, it is so hard, and even when I do nuke it it still takes forever to get it to rolling consistency. Just wasn't sure if it was too much icing sugar, but I'll definitely try things differently next time, plus perhaps a different recipe.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 5

Rhonda's ultimate MMF (in recipes) is my fave and contains corn syrup. It is easier to make than Michelle Foster's and tastes just as good. It is also less sweet than regular MMF. Michelle Foster's is really for people who don't want to use marshmallows. But if you like marshmallows, use Rhonda's...
My wrists use to be sore for days from kneading MMF, but now I use my mixer like cabecakes (and just knead in the last part). I had a KA but bought a Cuisinart with a big motor that was recommended for kneading bread (similar to making MMF) and LUV it! I also do the PS by feel at the end.
I don't like making MMF either, and was often tempted to just buy fondant when I couldn't afford it. This will make your life easier...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%