Applying Fondant To Rkt - Candy Melts? Help!

Decorating By sugardugar Updated 7 Mar 2011 , 3:39am by Sweetgrl1963

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 7:09am
post #1 of 22

Hi Cakers!!!!

I already have a "lid" for a gift box cake made and in the fridge to set overnight/harden, along with my cake. Anyhow. I am fondant-ing both.

I did NOT squish the RK first. I just press them as well as I could in the pan I used to shape them (same square I used to make the cake).

Of course I want this to have a smooth finish. Would BC under the fondant work? I read, after searching, some people cover it in candy melts to smooth it. Would I apply the fondant to the wet candy melts?

Thanks!

21 replies
KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 8:09am
post #2 of 22

I tried buttercream my first time with rkt and it softened the rkt so the fondant was a mess and it was difficult to even put the fondant on. It would be best to cover it in candy melts imho.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 8:34am
post #3 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSMill

I tried buttercream my first time with rkt and it softened the rkt so the fondant was a mess and it was difficult to even put the fondant on. It would be best to cover it in candy melts imho.

DONT APPLY FONDANT TO WET CANDY....YOU MAY NEED TO LET IT SET AND THEN APPLY ANOTHER COAT FOR SMOOTH....try a sharp knife ti slice a thin amount of rkt you can get it smooth like that....I do both....hth..if you put the candy on thick enough it may be enough...then refrigerate so it sets hard

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 10:22am
post #4 of 22

If you look at the big tv cake shows, they quite often use royal icing over RKT to get a smooth surface, but I'm not sure if they let it harden before adding the fondant

sugardugar Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 22

so...one coat candy, harden it, than 2md coat candy and place it on top of that? ugh!! i'm confused icon_sad.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:40pm
post #6 of 22

I think you should let your candy melt harden before applying the fondant.

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/11/toy-story-cake-and-cupcakes.html

sugardugar Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:50pm
post #7 of 22

Thanks! The link you sent me...she covered with modelling chocolate as her final surface and in an example where she used RKT as an entire layer she covered with BC and fondant. I'm so confused. icon_sad.gif

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:57pm
post #8 of 22

I cut my RKT with a smooth knife so I have a reasonably flat edge. Then I cover with ganache, as it will harden with a smooth surface. Then I rub a thin layer of shortening on it so the fondant will stick. HTH

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:58pm
post #9 of 22

Either candy melts or royal icing work, and one coat is enough if the surface looks smooth to you. If it's still bumpy, put on a second coat of whatever you´re working with AFTER the first one's dried. Let that one dry, too, before you apply your fondant. If the fondant doesn't want to stick to this, you can moisten the surface a little (but a little goes a LONG way!) with water from a spray bottle. You can actually sand the surface of your royal icing to get rid of any little imperfections - I don't know if this works with candy melts - before putting on the fondant. The trouble with fondant (or the nice thing about it, depending on what you want to achieve) is that it picks up any little thing on what's underneath it. This is great if you want a lot of detail and a PITA if you want a perfectly smooth surface. I wouldn't work with buttercream at all - it just makes your fondant gunky! Best of luck!!!

imagenthatnj Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:58pm
post #10 of 22

Sugardugar, she covered the figures with modeling chocolate, then covered in fondant.

She only needed a bottom cake, so she made a dummy of RKT instead of using one of styrofoam (those are kind of expensive sometimes). That dummy was the one she covered with BC and fondant, just as if it was a regular cake.

You could also cover your lid with ganache and let it harden. It will give you a smooth surface too.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 5:01pm
post #11 of 22

Ooh, yes, I forgot all about ganache, which is really weird, because it's my go-to for covering regular cakes before putting fondant on them. It's probably the easiest of any of these to work with.

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 5:17pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugardugar

Thanks! The link you sent me...she covered with modelling chocolate as her final surface and in an example where she used RKT as an entire layer she covered with BC and fondant. I'm so confused. icon_sad.gif

Sorry your confused and I hope this helps...

When I cover an actual cake layer, I just cover it with BC just like I do a regular cake and the BC is about a 1/4" thick so no bumps show through and no need to cover it with chocolate or shave it or anything - just treat it like a cake layer - add your BC layer, smooth it out, let it set, then lay the fondant over it.

When making figures with RKT, I cover directly with modeling chocolate. No need for BC, the modeling chocolate fills in all the grooves and you get a nice, smooth surface to sculpt and shape with. With modeling chocolate, the seams can easily be blended together so you don't need to cover it in 1 big piece, you can cover it section by section and blend the seams together (see Character Head cakes of a Pokemon and Toothless) - great for sculpting with.

You can over RKT also like the way everyone else here mentioned. It all depends of what you are trying to achieve.

Now, if I were to cover a RKT lid, I would shave it into shape to get the sharp square edges, add a layer of gananche over it, let that set then lay a nice, flat piece of fondant over it.

Hope I didn't confuse you some more. thumbs_up.gif

sugardugar Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 5:59pm
post #13 of 22

Hey guys, ty for helping.

After I read that about the other person just using BC I went ahead and did just that - fml. Now my lid is not stiff enough to be an open lid. I'm kinda mortified.

It's covered in fondant but floppy. Will this harden at all? It's a crusting BC. Should I give up and start over? I suppose I would have time.. If I do this.. can I remove this fondant and reuse it with it having BC on it providing I remove any crumbs?

Ugh!

******a HUGE TY to those that replied. I left my PC after my last post. I wish I'd waited around and seen your instructions!!******

sugardugar Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 6:06pm
post #14 of 22

Double checked it, it's just getting floppy LOL.

I don't have any whipping cream on hand, or white chocolate, so I'd like to just use candy melts I think...yes I am making a new lid! I'll use the fondant I just wasted to decorate a board.

Q: How long should I let the lid dry? How long should I let the candy melts dry? I was thinking but a little shortening on the candy melts to apply next layer of fondant, yes?

imagenthatnj Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 6:10pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugardugar

Hey guys, ty for helping.

After I read that about the other person just using BC I went ahead and did just that - fml. Now my lid is not stiff enough to be an open lid. I'm kinda mortified.

It's covered in fondant but floppy. Will this harden at all? It's a crusting BC. Should I give up and start over? I suppose I would have time.. If I do this.. can I remove this fondant and reuse it with it having BC on it providing I remove any crumbs?

Ugh!

******a HUGE TY to those that replied. I left my PC after my last post. I wish I'd waited around and seen your instructions!!******

So sorry you didn't get to see Angela's post (she's the owner of the link I sent you). If you have RKT (and time!) you could just start over and do this:

----
Now, if I were to cover a RKT lid, I would shave it into shape to get the sharp square edges, add a layer of gananche over it, let that set then lay a nice, flat piece of fondant over it.
----

I think it would be the easiest. You would probably be able to use the fondant.

What happened to you was what KSMill warned you about on the very first answer!

sugardugar Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 6:23pm
post #16 of 22

LOL yes - I'm so so foolish! icon_biggrin.gif

sugardugar Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 6:33pm
post #17 of 22

So how long do I need to let my second, and improved lol, lid set? Before ganach-ing (I'll head to the store, it's worth it lol)?

edit:

CRISIS AVERTED!

TYSM for all the advice; I can't believe I overlooked the BC advice LOL...I kept reading on sites they covered with BC but that's only when it doesn't need to harden: woops! I now have a nice hard lid. I didn't have time to allow ganache to set and only have dark chocolote (too dark) frozen so I covered with candy melts and it's much better! I quite liked working with RKT.

TY again guys.

I'll post a pic when I'm done!

imagenthatnj Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 9:40pm
post #18 of 22

Phew! That was close...lol

Good luck with the rest of your project!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 1:00am
post #19 of 22

you can stick it in the fridge to set up quicker....but it should be set well before covering with fondant

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 3:23am
post #20 of 22

I am going to try RKT for the first time. I plan on putting modelling chocolate over them, but then how do I attach the fondant... make it stick? just spritz with a water bottle?

love2makecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2makecakes Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 3:27am
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbykitty

I am going to try RKT for the first time. I plan on putting modelling chocolate over them, but then how do I attach the fondant... make it stick? just spritz with a water bottle?

Yep, that works just fine. Or you can just wipe down with a wet paper towel too.

Sweetgrl1963 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetgrl1963 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 3:39am
post #22 of 22

I do alot of sculpting with RKT. I always cover with BC and then fondant over that. I get a smooth finish, and it always works well for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%