Help!!! Humidity Ruining Fondant For Wedding Cake Due Tomm!!

Decorating By cake_architect Updated 5 Mar 2011 , 4:59am by cakeandpartygirl

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 1:10am
post #1 of 9

I've decorated a zillion cakes with fondant before, I've played with different brands and even homemade and have never had a problem like this. I have a wedding cake due tomm for a family friend and I never once thought I'd have a problem, but I'm almost in tears. The humidity right now is 88% (seeing as how we have thunderstorms on their way) and it ruining my fondant. I opened a brand new 20lb bucket of satin ice this morning, covered 3 of the 4 layers, then noticed a ton of elephant skin and cracks developing. I immediately took the fondant off, re-iced the cakes, and decided to make mmf seeing as how I've had trouble w/satin ice and humidity before. I made the mmf and guess what? Same problem. Both are rolling out with tiny air bubbles in them and are ripping as soon as they are draped. I've mixed them, added crisco, added corn starch- everything and still nothing. I'm really freaking out! I hate that this is happening the night before a wedding! If anyone has any advice I'd really really really appreciate it!

8 replies
Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 1:27am
post #2 of 9

I'm not going to be much help...but do you have an air conditioner? I had a problem last summer here in NY when it was raining. I shut all the windows and doors and cranked the AC. It worked...took all the moisture out of the air. I was also able to put mine in the refrigerator too, that also takes the moisture out.

cake_architect Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 1:42am
post #3 of 9

yes i have the central a/c running- i thought putting it in the fridge after its covered would be worse for when i pull it out? maybe i'm wrong?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:50am
post #4 of 9

Try adding some gum-tex to the fondant.

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:21am
post #5 of 9

I feel you, I live in Florida. I would take your fondant & mix it 1/2 & 1/2 with the cheap Wilton stuff. For some reason it holds up better. Or you could go straight Wilton if it's that bad. Does not taste very good but it always holds up here when nothing else will. Good luck. HTH!

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:23am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake_architect

I've decorated a zillion cakes with fondant before, I've played with different brands and even homemade and have never had a problem like this. I have a wedding cake due tomm for a family friend and I never once thought I'd have a problem, but I'm almost in tears. The humidity right now is 88% (seeing as how we have thunderstorms on their way) and it ruining my fondant. I opened a brand new 20lb bucket of this morning, covered 3 of the 4 layers, then noticed a ton of elephant skin and cracks developing. I immediately took the fondant off, re-iced the cakes, and decided to make mmf seeing as how I've had trouble w/ and humidity before. I made the mmf and guess what? Same problem. Both are rolling out with tiny air bubbles in them and are ripping as soon as they are draped. I've mixed them, added crisco, added corn starch- everything and still nothing. I'm really freaking out! I hate that this is happening the night before a wedding! If anyone has any advice I'd really really really appreciate it!

I had the same problem!! I have re-iced and ganached and hopefully my fondant will work better. I wish I could help with advice but I am hoping yours will work out!

cakeandpartygirl Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:26am
post #7 of 9

Just thought of this.. what about putting the fondant in the fridge or put the fondant on in panels. Like do the top first and then the sides

cake_architect Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:53am
post #8 of 9

thank you everyone- i got it to work! when i gave up my bf went to work on it (he always saves the day! haha) and mixed 50/50 satin ice and mmf. he started kneading in more corn starch than crisco (actually barely any crisco) and combined with throwing it into the microwave a few seconds at a time, he made it workable! yay for the best bf ever! now its still not the best texture, but it was well enough so that the fondant came out completely smooth on my tiers with no tears or bubbles! now all four tiers are covered and i'm taking a break icon_biggrin.gif thank you all for your advice and i hope this helps some of you!

cakeandpartygirl, i re-iced those layers tooooooo many times to even think about today! i hope everything works out for you!

cakeandpartygirl Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 4:59am
post #9 of 9

I am glad to hear it worked out!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%