Not Sure Which One To Use: All Veg Shortening Or Shortening.

Decorating By CakesIMake Updated 2 Mar 2011 , 11:12pm by Evoir

CakesIMake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesIMake Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 5

For a while now I've been using walmart brand shortening. Well the packaging has changed, not like that should matter right? But is has me confused. The kind I used to use ((just shortening)) had a pie on it Now it has fried chicken on the lable & says shortening..Now the one that has the pie on the label on it says all vegetable shortening.. I know I'm thinking waaay to much into this but which one is the right one?? I typically use it for make MMF & thinning down candy melts... Please help me out.. I'm confused & need to buy it asap for this weekends cake & cakepops. Thank you!

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 5

You want the all vegetable one. The other one probably contains meat fats.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 10:37pm
post #3 of 5

I think they just changed the picture on the new label. Shortening can also be used for deep fat frying. Look on the label for the ingredients. It should say all vegetable shortening some where on the label. Lard is made from animal fat.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 5

Walmart's Great value brand has two different kinds.

One does have meat fats in it. The other says all vegetable on the label and does not have meat fats in it.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 5

If you are also after 'healthier' fats, beware of palm oil, which is non-meat based, but very high in saturated fat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%