Cake Release Issues

Baking By cowie Updated 3 Mar 2011 , 12:15am by cowie

cowie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowie Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 8

Ok, so I had like five cakes to bake today, I used the Wilton Cake Release as normal and had a heck of a time getting the cakes out of the pans. Half the cake stayed in the pans. I used the same amount as normal and I always triple check to make sure I cover all of the pan, any ideas why this is happening?

7 replies
Reyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reyna Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 8

I've had that happen with cakes that have a lot of sugar. I use 1 cup shortening, 1 cup oil and 1 cup flower i throw it in the blender and mix. i keep it in a airtight container just in the cabinet where i keep the cooking oil (room temp) and that's what i use NEVER have cakes stick with this recipe.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 8

how long did you let the cake cool in the pan? 10-15 minutes is a good time, if you wait to long the cake release can actually act as a glue once it cools. To soon and the cake can be to soft and come apart.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 8

I only have issues with chocolate cake for some reason, so to be on the safe side, in addition to my cake release, I now cut a parchment paper round (or square) to fit in the bottom of the pan. Then after the cake is out I run a knife around the sides to make sure they're not sticking and wait until cool to take out. No problems with the paper.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 8

I have this problem only for my carrot cake because it has brown sugar and nuts. They sort of make a caramal and will sometimes stick. For that one recipe I always use parchment. Otherwise I use the homemade cake release listed above.

I time my cakes as the cool. 10 minutes then pop out onto the cooling rack.

deeann20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeann20 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 7:57pm
post #6 of 8

i use butter all over the pan and wax paper on the bottom and it works perfect to me to any cake.
i also leave it overnight before i take them out of my pans

cowie Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 12:13am
post #7 of 8

Reyna - thank you for the cake release info - I have always bought the wilton one, now I can make my own. Do you know if there is a shelf life to the home made cake release?

I have never really timed my cakes while they cooled. Maybe that is the issue. Since I had five to get done all at once maybe I didn't let them cool enough or let them sit too long. Thanks, I will keep an eye on this in the future. It sure made a mess trying to decorate the one that got stuck the most. YUK! Thank goodness I have learned a few hide the crumb techniques lol.

Thanks everyone!

cowie Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 12:15am
post #8 of 8

Reyna - What kind of oil do you use, just a vegetable oil?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%