Trying To Figure Out This Cake While Dealing With A Loss...

Decorating By lolobell Updated 7 Mar 2011 , 2:58am by lolobell

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 4:54am
post #1 of 47

Okay CC...I've needed you before many times but this time....i truly do.

I recently lost my Mother...Sudden and I'm a total wreck. And through all the chaos of the past week, i forgot i had a cake due this week. too late to cancel so i have to muster up the energy and make it happen. But, i need your help.

this is a strawberry shortcake theme...when the lady ordered it a month ago...she told me to use a royal icing image..a fondant figurine, a store bought one...whatever..she didn't care... as long as the character was on top of the cake (10 inch round btw)....

problem:
-cannot find a store bought figure taller than 2 inches
-no time now for a RI image
-no time for a fondant image

I printed out a picture on my printer..NOT an edible image..it's clear and looks great...but how do i ...or can i....turn this piece of card-stock into a standing image for this cake. or does anyone have another idea i'm overlooking?

many thanks in advance...

46 replies
jo3d33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo3d33 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 5:17am
post #2 of 47

First let me say I am so sorry you lost your Mom. icon_sad.gif
Albertsons/Stater Brothers will do an edible images for $8 to $10. Just take in the picture you printed out and they will copy it for you on to an edible image. If you cant do that, have you considered using gumpaste? That will dry a lot faster than fondant.
I hope everything turns out well for you.
Jodi

lolobell Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 5:19am
post #3 of 47

ha..see where my head is...didn't think of an edible image...i have a place near by that can do one i think...however....they want a standing image....how could i take that edible image and make it stand?

thanks for your help...

dchinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchinda Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 5:20am
post #4 of 47

Just remember to check the picture you printed & make sure it isn't copyrighted. They will not print an edible image if it is copyrighted.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 5:23am
post #5 of 47

Firstly, my condolences on the passing of your Mother.

Secondly, I'm sure if the customer knew the situation she would not be upset with you if you cancelled the order, even at short notice - and if she was upset about it, well then it would be more a reflection of her lack of empathy than anything else.

As far as how to use the card stock image on your cake, if you laminated it would that make it easier to use? Laminate is available in different thicknesses, so maybe a fairly stiff laminate would enable you to stand it up?

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 5:25am
post #6 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolobell

ha..see where my head is...didn't think of an edible image...i have a place near by that can do one i think...however....they want a standing image....how could i take that edible image and make it stand?

thanks for your help...

Stick it to gumpaste/pastillage? (if you had time to let the gumpaste dry thoroughly)

micky16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micky16 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 5:29am
post #7 of 47

I too want to say that I am sorry for your loss.

As far as your cake goes, what I have done before is I printed the image on card stock, laminated it, cut it out and glued a popsicle stick to it and used it to insert the image into the cake. This was also for a last minute cake and it worked out well for me. Hope this helps.

lolobell Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 5:30am
post #8 of 47

i have gumpaste here..and maybe if i added some tylose? i'm still brain dead and cannot grasp how to make it stand...am i attaching a lollipop stick to it and standing it that way?

i cannot believe how hard it is to think during this time...ugh.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 5:31am
post #9 of 47

There is a lady who has done graduation cakes for our church several times. She laminates photos of the graduates, and puts them on the cake. As Coral3 said, this could be a good option with the graphic you already have.

lolobell Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 5:33am
post #10 of 47

thank you all for your help...for the ideas and the condolences. all are appreciated.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 5:38am
post #11 of 47

sorry about your loss! ((((hugs))))

If you have 2-3 days for it to dry
I would add some of the tylose to the gumpaste and roll out. Cut it the same shape as the pic. Glue the pic on the dried gumpaste. I've printed the pics on ricpaper in the past. that glues to dried gumpaste better than paper. I used a little piping jelly to adhere the pic.

Alternatively I would print and laminate and stick on the cake.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 6:02am
post #12 of 47

My condolences for your loss.

lolobell Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 6:04am
post #13 of 47

i will give both the laminated idea and the edible image idea a whirl....

many thanks

as for the customer...she was kind but said she would really appreciate it if i could come up with something.....her daughter really wanted me to do it....
i got the impression i should do it...

i will muster through...and i will do what i can under the circumstances...but it will not be easy..

the support of CC friends is appreciated....

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 6:04am
post #14 of 47

lolobell...so very sorry to hear of the passing of your Mother. icon_sad.gif I'm sure that trying to concentrate on anything right now is next to impossible. So I searched some cakes right here on CC and came up with a couple of examples. If you have the image printed and can laminate it, that would probably be the easiest. As mentioned by micky16, just attach it to a popsicle stick and insert into the cake. If you can get an edible image made and attached to a gumpaste plaque, that would also be a good way to go, if you have the time. (you didn't state what day the cake is due) There are several designs in the search section right here on CC that you could probably use as a beginning idea for the cake if the two I have attached aren't exactly what you're looking for. Hope this helps and Good Luck with the cake.
Take care...

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1150547

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1455489

lolobell Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 6:18am
post #15 of 47

srkmilklady: wow...your time and kindness is so appreciated...yes, that is what i had in mind by the way....and i feel a small sense of relief that i can pull this off now...
i searched the CC site and just sat stoic and too stunned to concentrate....and i didn't have the patience to find what i needed...so, i thank you for doing that for me...
and for the condolences...

*sigh*

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 6:24am
post #16 of 47

lolobell...you are very welcome. That's what we are all here for...to lend a helping hand if we can, and I'm glad I could. Would love to see you're finished cake when it's done.

And just a word of advice from someone who's been there...try to stay busy, but do take care of yourself first and foremost. icon_smile.gif

j0z1e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j0z1e Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 7:54am
post #17 of 47

So sorry to hear about your mom, I know that it's hard to think about anything else, but maybe once you get started you will find some peace in your cake zone.

And now hopefully I don't hurt more than help, but I would hate to see this work go unappreciated. There are three versions of Strawberry Shortcake, the old one from when I was a kid, a slightly newer one, and now an even newer updated one. Just throwing this out there in case you didn't think of it with all the other things going on. If this is for a young b-day girl she probably wants the new one, but here are links to all three for examples:

Oldest

Older

Newest

There's probably even more, but those are the most common. Also, would a FBCT be a possibility?

j0z1e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j0z1e Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 8:01am
post #18 of 47

Me again! I just had a thought, on the SS website they have a section for b-day stuff and there's a party hat that you can print out. Could you print it on card stock and then have the hat on top of the cake? HTH!

Strawberry Shortcake Party Hat

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 8:29am
post #19 of 47

sorry to hear about your loss. Hope whatever you decide to do works out well

lolobell Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 11:21pm
post #20 of 47

everyone has been so kind and helpful...and it's made a difference in this stressful week...thanks so much.

all the ideas are awesome...

Karadactyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karadactyl Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 11:26pm
post #21 of 47

So incredibly sorry for your loss. I lost my mother 6 months ago so I can understand where your head is. Feel free to PM me if you ever want to talk or need to vent. It can be really helpful.

I agree with all the PPs who said to laminate the image and attach to something to make it stand up. I'm sure the cake will turn out just fine icon_smile.gif

Again, so sorry for your loss.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 11:40pm
post #22 of 47

Sorry for your loss...I understand....I lost my mom in a car wreck when she was only 42 years old....take care.

lolobell Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 1:47am
post #23 of 47

wow...although I am so sorry your losses....i feel much less "alone" in this sea of confusion and sadness reading your comments. I think losing my mother as been the hardest thing I have ever dealt with...and i've dealt with some biggies....I miss her daily...every moment really...and now I am trying to find my "new normal"...and care for my 4 year old daughter...trying to get her to understand....while watching my father grieve to extents that scare me....grieve and fear have become one.

of course Michaels was out of thin foam board....they only had super thick so to laminate that would be impossible i believe...will find out shortly ...calling kinkos in a few...

something will work...i'll get it done and then i have a couple weeks off before i have to work on anything else..

MANY MANY THANKS

lolobell Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 2:30am
post #24 of 47

btw..kitagrl....42 is much too young...i will be 42 on Friday...you must have been quite young when you lost your mom.....i'm so sorry....

Kitagrl Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 2:33am
post #25 of 47
Quote:

btw..kitagrl....42 is much too young...i will be 42 on Friday...you must have been quite young when you lost your mom.....i'm so sorry....

Aww thanks...actually I had just gotten married...I turned 22 while she was on life support and then she died 3 days after that. But my sister was only 18, I think (college freshman), and my brother 15.

Anyway.....I know its tough for you. icon_sad.gif Oh and man I totally identify with being afraid for your dad....my dad was almost suicidal...but he held it together and time has helped of course (I'm 36 now)....

Hang in there. Its okay to grieve, and for a long time, too.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 2:55am
post #26 of 47

I am so sorry for all of you who have lost their Mums. I can't imagine being without my Mum, and I appreciate every day I have with her.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 3:10am
post #27 of 47

Put the picture on cardstock, laminate and use a skewer to fasten to the cake. Deliver it and then take some time. Your daughter is probably missing and needing you.

lolobell Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 3:16am
post #28 of 47

kitagrl...

wow...what a story...gave me chills...however..it gives me strength and courage to look ahead and breath...22 is much too young to lose a mother...15 even more so...at 42 i am blessed to have had her as long as I did...but the story of her passing is just so difficult for me....i will need time...thank you for sharing something so personal...in order to help me.

Kitagrl Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 3:29am
post #29 of 47
Quote:

kitagrl...

wow...what a story...gave me chills...however..it gives me strength and courage to look ahead and breath...22 is much too young to lose a mother...15 even more so...at 42 i am blessed to have had her as long as I did...but the story of her passing is just so difficult for me....i will need time...thank you for sharing something so personal...in order to help me.

Just never feel like you have to put your grieving in a box.....its okay to have strong feelings and to miss her, and to almost pick up the phone to tell her something and then realize she's not there and be sad.... hang in there. icon_smile.gif And don't be hard on yourself.

Take care!

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 4:21am
post #30 of 47

I have no 'advice' to add that has not been said but I will say this:

Your dedication to your art and your customers is astounding. It saddens me that you feel such an obligation but good for you for pushing through such an impossibly difficult time. Don't fret because you're having difficulty focusing - this is natural and unavoidable. But the fact that you can selflessly not ruin another one's day and work through this is just commendable.

I do hope when you finish this order you can take some well-needed time to yourself. Good luck and hugs to you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%