I Do Not Want To Make A Cake...

Decorating By KayMc Updated 28 Feb 2011 , 4:56pm by SugarFrosted

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 20

I am struggling, because for some reason, I am CRAVING a piece of WASC cake with raspberry filling and SugarShack's BC frosting. I mean, I am really, really craving it. (I only eat cake every few months, and it has been a while).

I am trying to lose weight (have lost 26 lb due to illness, and want to keep on going with this now), so I really don't NEED a piece of cake. And if I bake it, my husband will be annoyed as he's trying to lose weight, too.

I don't want to eat cake, I don't want to eat cake, I don't want to eat cake....

19 replies
VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 20

Resist the temptation! You can do it!

wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 9:30pm
post #3 of 20

You dont need cake ! You dont need cake ! You dont need cake !

icon_biggrin.gif

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 20

bake it, sub salt for sugar, & you'll never want cake again.

or bake it, but cut one slice & take the rest to a neighbor.. (likewise, bake one tiny bit for yourself & bake the rest into a cake & give away.

i think that resisting a craving only sets you up to fail... as when you finally do cave, you'll go overboard.

KayMc Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 20

I actually agree with all of the above posts! I do NOT need cake. However, I also agree that trying to NEVER have something you're craving, will only set you up for failure. I'll see if the craving persists through tomorrow, and I'll look at it again. I almost offered to bake cupcakes tonight to send to the office w/ my husband tomorrow, but resisted that so far.....

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 10:30pm
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

I also agree that trying to NEVER have something you're craving, will only set you up for failure. I'll see if the craving persists through tomorrow, and I'll look at it again.

Agreed...and a good strategy, giving yourself time to get over the urge. Best wishes!

AirForceWife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AirForceWife Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 10:34pm
post #7 of 20

I agree with MRSBRIGGS. And anyone who is a weightloss expert will say not to resist temptation because once you cant resist any further you will completely bing and eat wayyyyyy to much. When I have a craving ( I too have been on the weightloss train, 50lbs since '09, slowly but surely) I just take a little bit and then drink a glass of water afterwards to get rid of the taste. Good luck! Oh and whenever I make cupcakes or cake I always take a small piece and give ther rest away, my neighbors love me, lol.

KayMc Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 11:46pm
post #8 of 20

That's why I was debating making cupcakes to send to my husband's work, so I could eat some. But I decided against it. Now that I had a great dinner (large salad w/ grilled chicken on top), the craving is gone. Woo hoo!!!!

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 11:53pm
post #9 of 20

drink water, chew gum do something!!! just dont sit and think about that delicious cake!!! crud! now i want some!

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 12:00am
post #10 of 20

KayMc I totally understand where you are coming from. I've gained a lot of weight due to meds from an illness. I am dieting & at first I thought it was going to be hard to lose the weight while making cakes. I actually found the opposite. Of course I don't bake a cake unless it's for a customer.

The other weekend I was like you craving cake really bad & just had to have it. After I make my customer's cake there was enough batter left to make a couple of cupcakes...I made them ate them & moved on. I don't try & rob myself if I had a serious craving. I just watch how much and how often I eat the not so healthy food.

Good luck on your weight loss journey & great job with the salad ... Have a great week!

KayMc Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 3:39am
post #11 of 20

Thank God the craving is gone for now. I do notice that when I'm on this forum, I want to eat cake. If I stay off it, not so much. Geesh.....

I have 16 more LB I really, really want to lose. If I absolutely MUST have cake at some point, I will. And because I don't know of any local bakery that has a cake that I think tastes good, I will bake one, and give it to my friend AFTER I take a piece for myself. She has a houseful of people, so a cake goes fast there.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 4:00am
post #12 of 20

Try chewing on some of the new gum flavors that are sugar free. The Key lime pie one is great and it helps curb my cravings for sweets.

KayMc Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 4:02am
post #13 of 20

I know gum does help some people. I have been treated for a severe case of TMJ for years, and still wear a bite place at night. I had to give up gum about 20 yrs ago because of it.

melave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melave Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 4:23am
post #14 of 20

what about making cupcakes and freezing them?
i used to do this with fruit cake. just take one piece out when the craving was bad

Teecakesandcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teecakesandcookies Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 4:45am
post #15 of 20

I lost weight due to illness and I have kept it off but I luv sweets, so I usaually only eat something sweet on the weekends when there will be others to help eat it, I would bake a small one offer my hubby a very very small sample he is a diabetic and share whats left with friends and family if you keep putting it off you will bake it and eat it all too!!! icon_biggrin.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 4:53am
post #16 of 20

Here's your wake up call!

I ate cake whenever I wanted (often!) for almost 20 years, gained a LOT of weight and then was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. I quit cake "cold turkey" and am much healthier for it.
I lost 103.5 lbs in 18 months by exercising every day and watching what I eat. I am in better shape now than ever before in my entire adult life. All my lab numbers are in the normal range now. I am still diabetic, always will be. Controlled diabetic! But I will live to see my grandchildren get married, if I have anything to say about it.

How's your health? How are YOUR lab numbers? Do you exercise? Are you genetically predisposed to diabetes or heart disease? You CAN control your destiny! If I can do that, so can you!

KayMc Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 12:10pm
post #17 of 20

SugarFrosted - great message! So glad you heeded your wakeup call,and have your diabetes controlled. I'm a registered nurse, and have done patient education for YEARS, so I am well aware of staying aware of my blood work. I was an exerciser up until recent months. I had a total knee replacement in December, and a resident administered my pre-op nerve blocks - and she apparently botched it!! My entire right leg has moderate nerve damage now. I came home w/ a totally paralyzed leg, but I am now walking on it, thank God! I still have neurological deficits and lots of pain, so my exercising is not what it should be. I'm walking 1/2 mile now (used to do 3 miles daily), but have lots of foot pain from it. This will be an evolutionary process.

I am terririfed of diabetes, and it doesn't run in my family. HOWEVER, my fasting blood sugars have been creeping up for the past 5 years, and I'm really nervous. My PCP agreed to do a HgbA1c in three months. I'm really working on avoiding processed carbs.

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 12:29pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:

Thank God the craving is gone for now. I do notice that when I'm on this forum, I want to eat cake. If I stay off it, not so much. Geesh.....

Absolutely me too but thought it was only me!!
I was reading an article yesterday about cravings and it said that when you have one, sit down and relax, close your eyes and scan each part of the body and identify where percisely it is that you are craving the cake or whatever. Apparently the craving often disappears but I havent tried it.

I do the baking for other people too - my colleagues at work love me when I really really want to make (and eat) cake. I make it and just have a little and bring the rest in for them. Same can go for packets of biscuits too if I buy one but only eat a couple, if they stay at home I'll finish the packet, if they come to work with me they are gone in a hour!

I've been really good with my food this week and am on target for loosing 3lbs this week at my weigh in tomorrow morning (hopefully!! that mightn't sound like much to some ppl but I often only loose about 1-2lbs a week so 3 is lots for me!)

Good luck with your continued weight loss

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 3:02pm
post #19 of 20

My personal opinion when it comes to losing weight is if you want something, you should eat it, in moderation. Because if you don't and you keep craving it, you will give in and go over board. If you keep putting it off and keep craving it, then instead of a piece you would probably end up eating several pieces.

Another issue I have, is that I find I end up eating other things, to 'feed' that craving, before giving in to it. So then I add in extra calories I could have skipped by just eating it first.

Make the WASC recipe using one cake mix, and make cupcakes. Eat a cupcake then share the other with friends/familys or co-workers. Or freeze them.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 4:56pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:

SugarFrosted - great message! So glad you heeded your wakeup call,and have your diabetes controlled. I'm a registered nurse, and have done patient education for YEARS, so I am well aware of staying aware of my blood work. I was an exerciser up until recent months. I had a total knee replacement in December, and a resident administered my pre-op nerve blocks - and she apparently botched it!! My entire right leg has moderate nerve damage now. I came home w/ a totally paralyzed leg, but I am now walking on it, thank God! I still have neurological deficits and lots of pain, so my exercising is not what it should be. I'm walking 1/2 mile now (used to do 3 miles daily), but have lots of foot pain from it. This will be an evolutionary process.

I am terririfed of diabetes, and it doesn't run in my family. HOWEVER, my fasting blood sugars have been creeping up for the past 5 years, and I'm really nervous. My PCP agreed to do a HgbA1c in three months. I'm really working on avoiding processed carbs.

I was an ER/oncology-chemo nurse for many years. So I get where you are coming from. However, when the shoe was on the other foot and I became the patient, all my knowledge seemed to go out the window, and confusion and fear jumped in. My motivation is having cared for patients with all the bad complications uncontrolled diabetes can cause: gangrene, amputation, heart disease, stroke, kidney failure, dialysis, blindness, etc.

Personally, I believe EVERYONE should have an A1c done with regular labs. My labs are done every 3 months. A person can have a "normal" fasting blood sugar, but have an abnormal A1c, because fasting is usually the last thing to change. Type 2s most often have insulin resistance which can be improved by regular exercise

I have very bad arthritis in both knees, so I can sympathize somewhat with your current issues. I bought a recumbent stationary bike which I ride while I watch TV, 20 minutes twice a day (after lunch and dinner). NO knee impact, and one leg can easily help the other, in your case.
I recommend it! I bought mine, Gold's Gym brand, at WalMart for about $230. Worth every penny at twice the price.

Type 2 diabetes is a controllable epidemic in the world now. Proper diet, appropriate body weight and regular exercise are the keys!

icon_redface.gif :steps off soapbox and apologizes for preaching: icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%