Handy Manny Cake

Decorating By Ashley0415 Updated 26 Feb 2011 , 10:52pm by Ashley0415

Ashley0415 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashley0415 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 15

okay.. Im nervous to ask this after all of the posts of people getting irritated with us newbies.. BUT I do have a question..

I do want to get better with my fondant sculpting, but you guys usually have better ways of tackling things than I do. Im making this handy manny toolbox cake. Im okay with making the toolobox.. but its the characters that are making me nervous.. does anyone have any tips (not tutorials) on how I can get the tape measure perfectly square or how to tackle the other guys.. as of right now my only thought is to use my hands to shape them all but I cant imagine getting a perfect square shape :/

For some reason I cant attach the photo.. but here is the link

http://melcakewalk.blogspot.com/2010/04/handy-manny-cake.html

14 replies
justkist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justkist Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 15

For the measuring tape i would roll out the fondant (super thick of course) and either use a cutter or an exacto (super sharp of course icon_wink.gif) to cut out the shape and then just use your fingers to soften/sharpen the edges as you wish. I have also, when trying to sculpt a good 90 degree angle used two square items (super clean of course icon_razz.gif) to press the sides instead of my round, fingerprinty fingers icon_smile.gif Not suer I am explaining that very clearly though.

Good luck!

Ashley0415 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 15

That does make sense.. and it does seem obvious icon_redface.gif

I was also thinking of using rice krispie treats maybe??

justkist Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley0415

That does make sense.. and it does seem obvious icon_redface.gif

I was also thinking of using rice krispie treats maybe??

Untill recently EVERYTHING contained RKT for me. Saves fondant, easy to mold and on any given day I have a No Name Value pak downstairs in my "lunchbox stuff" drawer icon_smile.gif

But I do find that the bumps of the cereal show through the fondant unless it is quite thick anyways. Also since recently trying modelling chocolate, although more expensive I think it is much easier to sculpt.

Ashley0415 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 15

that was always my issue with the rkt too! I thought I was doing something wrong.. I even tried frosting them first..

I think I will try it with just using some straight edge tools to get it into a square..

justkist Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley0415

that was always my issue with the rkt too! I thought I was doing something wrong.. I even tried frosting them first..

I think I will try it with just using some straight edge tools to get it into a square..

Well lets not rule out teh posssibility that I TOO am doing it wrong when I get the bumps. icon_smile.gif

Ashley0415 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 5:48pm
post #7 of 15

Just to update.. I just kind of tried to figure it out.. and they all came out pretty cute!! I will definitely post a pic later today. Thanks for the tips. icon_lol.gif

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 15

To get rid of those bumps in the RKT, just coat with candy melts until smooth. You may have to use more than one layer. It'll help you fill in those to get a smooth surface.

Ashley0415 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 6:43pm
post #9 of 15

http://tinypic.com/r/2z8nlls/7

this is how they turned out.. I havent attempted to tackle manny yet :/

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 7:15pm
post #10 of 15

OMG Ashley, that's fantastic!!! They are so adorable! I had to post so that I won't lose this thread as I can't wait to see the finished product. Great job!!! Image

Ashley0415 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 8:04pm
post #11 of 15

Thank you so much thumbs_up.gif I was so proud of myself by the time I finished them.. considering Id usually use plastic figurines icon_smile.gif

Ashley0415 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 4:02am
post #12 of 15

finished product.. It was EXACTLY like I wanted it.. but I thought it came out okay icon_smile.gif

http://tinypic.com/r/2qs9tma/7

Ashley0415 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 4:15am
post #13 of 15

^^ I meant it WASNT exactly how I wanted it.. but my friend LOVED it. icon_biggrin.gif

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 10:38pm
post #14 of 15

It is great! You should be proud. thumbs_up.gif

Ashley0415 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 10:52pm
post #15 of 15

Thank you icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%