I Just Learned The Creamcheese/fondant Or Gumpaste Lesson

Decorating By Rachie204 Updated 11 Sep 2013 , 1:15am by KateCoughlin

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 27

I never make cream cheese icing. Only for a diabetic icing I make for my husbands grandmother. Well her birthday is tonight and I had her cake all done, opened the box this morning and the gumpaste had literally turned into puddles of goo. That was a fun lesson to learn...ugh. So glad I had time to redo everything. I ended up putting a thin coat of buttercream over the cream cheese icing and then decorating ontop of it. So far so good. This way she can just scrape off the outer icing. Just a reminder for everyone not to make this mistake. I guess I knew better but I was so excited to use my new cricut cake it slipped my mind. icon_sad.gif

26 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 27

I got to experience the same lovely event when I cut out lots of black scrolls to put on a cake.. only to see them turn the icing around them to a red color (from the black).. then they slowly slid down the side of the cake...ugh... and this was for a client.. and at 11:00 at night.. ugh... won't do that one again.. no more diabetic anything... sorry out there!

brian1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brian1974 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 27

Something i didnt know either, havnt done it yet , usually i use a cream cheese based icing for filling and then a regular buttercream icing for the dam and the dirty ice.
At least i know now not to dirtyice in the same cream cheese buttercream.

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 27

I'm confused, are you saying the cream cheese icing ruined your GP?

I have put GP & MMF on Cream Cheese covered cakes before without issue.

Hmmm...

Rachie204 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 11:28am
post #5 of 27

in my experiance yeah it ruined it...then again it was a diabetic based cream cheese icing made with creamcheese heavy whipping cream sugar free pudding and splenda

Manderly42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manderly42 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 12:05pm
post #6 of 27

Here is an alternative to powdered sugar:
http://www.ehow.com/way_5231052_alternatives-powdered-sugar.html

You can use this alternative to make buttercream icing for diabetics!

Jenniferc03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferc03 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 10:25pm
post #7 of 27

I had no idea. I am planning a cake for a friend and was going to use cream cheese frosting (mine has cream cheese and powdered sugar- so not for a diabetic).....

So based on this..you can't put MMF on cream cheese frosting?

Rachie204 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 10:53pm
post #8 of 27

i have never tried it, but have heard that there can be issues....?

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 11:06pm
post #9 of 27

Rachie: just so you know, I have a crusting cream cheese frosting recipe that I use on my cakes and then cover in fondant. I have never had a problem with it. I think the other person was talking about putting figures/cutouts directly onto a cake iced with the cream cheese. I have never done that, so I don't know. You can see it on my cakes in gallery. The monkey cake and the ballerina/valentine cake are both cream cheese.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 11:46pm
post #10 of 27

I have done cupcakes in crusting buttercream and have had the same issue with the fondant kind of melting into it over night. I usually put them on a plastic container so i thought that it was the plastic making all the cakes sweaty and melting the fondant. still not sure what caused this.

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 11:48pm
post #11 of 27

Jenniferc03, I've used cream cheese frosting with MMF over the top many times and never had an issue. (regular non-diabetic cream cheese frosting)

I think the issue here was the diabetic recipes causing problems.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 12:22am
post #12 of 27

No, I had the exact same issue with my cream cheese icing and fondant. The first time, I couldn't figure out why the puddles of blue goop where forming all around my cake. Unlike the OP, I was not quick enough to catch on, and repeate the same mistake a few cakes later ... green goo at the base of my fairy cake (take a look at my pics, I had to scramble to cover it in fondant leaves after wiping it up).

It has nothing to do with the diabetic aspect of the recipe. It's simply an issue of humidity in the icing. Depending on your cream cheese recipe, you will have a higher or lower proportion of fat/moisture vs sugar ... if your recipe happens to be heavy on the sugar, this might not be an issue. In my case (and the OP's, it seems), it most certainly was. Long story short, yes, a cream cheese frosting can be used under fondant, if the recipe is a firm crusting recipe with a higher sugar-to-fat content. But unless you know you have a recipe that fits these specifications, you should probably be careful.

Me, I just use it as a filling, and make absolutely sure NOT to let it peek out anywhere over my very firm and stable dam and crumbcoat!!! icon_smile.gif Sorry to the OP that this happened, I can't be more sympathetic!

* edited because I misspelled "dam", and that's a bad word to misspell icon_smile.gif *

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 12:24am
post #13 of 27

ive never had a problem either, with both cutouts laying on cream cheese icing (cupcakes & cakes) or covering a cream cheese iced cake in fondant. hmmm.....

donnlara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnlara Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 12:50am
post #14 of 27

I've had the same problem before, with the splenda & whipping cream diabetic icing, but never with cream cheese frosting. It happened on the NASCAR cake in my pics. The black fondant just melted and oozed all over the place. Luckily the client was a frequent client, she was totally understanding because she knew it was my first time doing a diabetic cake. The rest of the cake looked fine except the track on top, and I gave her a discount on the final price of the cake to acknowledge the issue.

dixiedarlin79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dixiedarlin79 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:04am
post #15 of 27

well I guess I am about to run into the same problem icon_sad.gif I'm making a chocolate cake with chocolate cream cheese frosting and was going to cover it in fondant. This cake has started out as a disaster already because the cakes got stuck in the pan and....well....it's just bad. I think I can salvage it but now with this news about the fondant over the cream cheese icing, I'm even more deflated! icon_cry.gif

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:21am
post #16 of 27

I'm betting the bigger issue is that you made a sweetened whipped cream with cream cheese added rather than a traditional buttercream or cream cheese icing (understandable since you were doing a special diet).

Whipped cream and fondant do NOT get along.

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 3:11pm
post #17 of 27

I've had no problem with Cream Cheese Icing with Fondant over it.
You just can't make it extra Creamy. When you think you have enough Powdered
Sugar for the frosting add another 2 cups. Then you really have enough

fabray13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabray13 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 3:50pm
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachie204

in my experiance yeah it ruined it...then again it was a diabetic based cream cheese icing made with creamcheese heavy whipping cream sugar free pudding and splenda

The problem is not the cream cheese, its the whipping cream. It causes too much moisture.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 7:49pm
post #19 of 27

I have read on here before of people having issues with cream cheese under fondant, so I have never tried it. But I thought it had something to do with the cream cheese itself reacting in some way to melt the fondant. Don't quote me on it, because I didn't write it down, but I think it had something to do with the acidity of the cream cheese that melts marshmallow fondant (not sure about regular fondant).

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 8:11pm
post #20 of 27

I use store bought fondant, with the crusting cream cheese recipe and never have a problem. It tastes fantastic too!

Jenniferc03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferc03 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 10:51pm
post #21 of 27

Just this last week I used cream cheese frosting and made my marshmallow fondant...there was no issues at all. It worked fine!

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 2:27pm
post #22 of 27

I've never tried using fondant with my cream cheese but don't know that I'll ever try, now! Thanks for sharing this &, potentially, saving me a headache!

calleighlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calleighlove Posted 30 May 2011 , 4:01pm
post #23 of 27

I had the same thing happen to my DH's cake. He is diabetic and I made a vanilla pudding/whipped cream filling and covered it in fondant (thinking he could just scrap that off before eating). An hour after the fondant went on, it started to weep at the bottom. Four hours later, the fondant was sliding off the sides and turning into a wet gooey mess. So disappointed but learnt my lesson. Next time, I'll have to dirty ice it in ganache first to seal in the pudding filling so it won't affect the fondant.

KateCoughlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateCoughlin Posted 6 May 2013 , 8:29pm
post #24 of 27

Soooo glad I'm not alone!  Unfortunately, I did not have enough time to redo anything.  It was a garden themed red velvet cake for my niece's birthday.  I showed up to the party wishing I could accidentally drop the cake in the driveway, lol.  I had spent days prepping so many of the fondant accents (intricate lady bugs, bumble bees, birds and flowers galore) for the cake and cupcakes but saved the fence/posts for last.  I cleverly thought I was doing myself a favor because I wasn't sure how tall the 4 layer cake would come out.  And why make the fence border before I knew how tall it should be - duh, not thinking I could just shoot for big and size them down. 

I've only recently started experimenting with fondant decorations on my cakes.  I've always made the same marshmallow fondant recipe way in advance so it can be colored and set a week prior.  I even bought tylose powder this time to create more of a gum paste for some of the delicate flower work.  Last time I let my cake sit in the carrier overnight and learned my first big lesson.  This time I thought I was ready to move forward.  Until the fence just melted before my eyes and ended up a brown pool around the cake.  I should have just scrapped it off and refrosted the sides - then just added the sunflowers.  But I was still in shock when it happened and couldn't look past the problem.  Then I read post after post of "I never have trouble with fondant melting on buttercream" and think something is seriously wrong with me.  Finally, I recall reading that cream cheese is like 50% water.  So I can see why this all went horribly wrong. 

I want to test this out again to see if it can be done...or should I say if I can properly do it!  I don't know if I would attempt it on cream cheese frosting again.  I would add plenty of tylose to the fondant and roll it out thick (mine was probably too thin looking back) and see if it would dry days in advance.  When I first make the marshmallow fondant I get it pretty stiff but then rub it with shortening and wrap it up in plastic wrap and put it in a zip lock bag.  Everyone seems to warn more about it drying out and cracking.  But me - I notice that it can get very soft by the time it comes to use it.  I always think I've added enough powdered sugar because it's firm at first.  But after days or a week of resting it gets real soft.  I might need to work in some more powdered sugar before molding/rolling..especially in the pieces I colored.  The red is notoriously gooey from the ton of color paste I have to add...and I do realize that the color deepens with time so I try not to overdo it. 

Anyways - I think I need firmer and thicker fondant cut-outs.  I swear I will figure this out!!  I am a notorious copy-cat when it comes to cake decorating designs and themes.  So I know exactly how I want the finished cake to look.  I spend all this money on ingredients and supplies and then hours upon hours of my time.  Then when it turns out nothing like that picture I get really really discouraged.  I know I have to dust myself off but it's really hard to in the moment.  I was happy to read today that I'm not alone. 

MIRamos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MIRamos Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 2:26am
post #25 of 27

AI have no experience truly I'm very interested in learning, got very excited this month but then I get scared of all that can go wrong. As I read and see the pics I remember things can happen to anyone and we keep learning as we go. Na I'm still scared.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 4:50am
post #26 of 27

The problem here is the whipping cream. I think a good crusting cream cheese frosting will be ok covered with fondant.

I frost ALL my cakes with Pastry Pride. It's a non dairy whipped topping that comes in a frozen liquid which once thawed has to be whipped to the firmness you want.

If you look at my pictures you will see that I use fondant and gumpaste accents on my cakes.

I also learned the hard way. I did a polka dotted cake and used gumpaste dots in all colors. After a few hours they slid off the sides of the cake leaving a colored slimy trail.

BUT I have the remedy for that! Under all my cut outs, plaques and decorations made with fondant or gumpaste, I smear a thin layer of melted white chocolate. This acts as a barrier from the moisture of the whipped cream. Believe me it works wonders. I have even used it under fondant draping and they do not slide off. Trust me friends, this works!

And even if you try cutting your fondant/gumpaste thicker, add tylose or dry them for a month, once they touch the moisture from the whipped cream they will start to dissolve. By using a bit of melted chococlate under them, they will stay put! Here are a few cakes where I used this technique. Everything on the sides of these cakes are gumpaste or fondant with a thin smear of melted chocolate underneath.

7" and 11" rounds all frosted in Pastry Pride. Red tier was airbrused to achieve that shade of red. All decorations are gumpaste glued on with a little melted chocolate. 6" matching smash cake for baby!

8" and 11" rounds all frosted in Pastry Pride. All decorations are gumpaste and tip tier was airbrushed in red. The hat is RKT covered in fondant, ears and bow are gumpaste/

this cake was all frosted in Pastry Pride  All decorations are modeling chocolate. I do not know who originally made this cake, I worked off of a pic the customer gave me.

KateCoughlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateCoughlin Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 1:15am
post #27 of 27
Using white chocolate to "glue" on accents is a really good idea.  Thanks for the tip Dora!  I've heard others reference Pastry Pride and it interests me.  I think I'd like to give it a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%