Making My First 4 Tier Cake (Gulp) Any Tips?

Decorating By Sorelle Updated 1 Mar 2011 , 5:04am by sarascakecreations

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 4:54am
post #1 of 10

So yeah, my first four tier cake is it all that different from a 3 tier? Anything I need to know to help me execute this? (so that the bride doesn't execute me)
Thanks icon_smile.gif

9 replies
jenniemar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniemar Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 10

I am doing my first wedding cake too- 4 tier. I have made many a 3 tier and with no problems, but have the same question.
I would think no, it ain't that different, but then again.... I have never done it.

I watched Edna de la Cruz's cake stacking tutorials on her site and YouTube and it helps (she transports stacked!). I am using her method. It is really what I have always done but way more dowels.

I guess I would like someone to answer your question too....
icon_lol.gif

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 10

use SPS! although doweling works for many people and i've had a lot of success with it as well, iveheard horror stories from it lol when you use SPS it takes a lot of the guesswork out of it and so much more peace of mind. I'm not sure for a 4-tier if you should have a central dowel running throughout the entire cake...maybe some of the more experienced cakers will chime in on that...HTH!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 10

Well, of course I'm going to recommend using SPS for support. No center dowel needed or even possible.

Alwayzmakincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alwayzmakincake Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 11:27am
post #5 of 10

I'm making a 4-tier for the first time too. Glad I saw this post. Where do you order the SPS system? Do they come in square?

jenniemar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniemar Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 1:27pm
post #6 of 10

Oasis Supply. They have it all. Good prices.

They give a discount for CC people. Here is what they wrote to me about getting the discount:

Type in the search field, located on the home page. upper right side, the words - cake central - and a list of items will pop up. The very first one will be the one that you want. Order quantity "1" of the item, and update your cart. We'll be sure to give you 10% or more off of your order.

Also take advantage of our $5 shipping category. All items in that category qualify for $5 shipping. Buy as much as you want from items listed in that area, and the max. shipping you'll pay is $5 bucks!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 1:50pm
post #7 of 10

I too recommend SPS. I have only done one 4 tier cake and I transported the bottom 2 stacked and attached the top two on site. This was because the weight is too much for me to carry. Leah's sticky on using SPS is great. Don't forget to put a little buttercream on the plate before placing the next tier. I always forget thaticon_sad.gif

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 10:16pm
post #8 of 10

sorry ..... what is SPS???

Amy83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy83 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 10:47pm
post #9 of 10

I had the same question, so I googled it. http://www.bakingshop.com/weddingcakes/cakestand.htm

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 5:04am
post #10 of 10

wow that is quite a contraption!

how would you even include that into pricing? (I would assume that these wouldn't be returned after the wedding?) So in that case, would you include the cost of the SPS into your cake pricing?

S.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%