Cricut Cake Machine - Yay Or Nay??

Decorating By BakedCT Updated 16 Mar 2011 , 2:04pm by kathie-d

BakedCT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedCT Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 26

I see on CC that there are posts dating back to 2009 regarding the cricut machine.

I am thinking of buying on here where I live, the place where I am getting it from says they can't give me a demo.I just have to order and they direct me to watch video demos online. Watching a demo is not the same as working the machine yourself.

Is there anybody who has the CRICUT CAKE, do you like it, does it work or was it a waste of money??

And also where is the cheapest place to buy cartridges? The price of cartridges here are like $114 for 1. Which I think is ridiculous if I check prices online.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am busy saving up for my machine, almost there but scared I will be wasting my money.

25 replies
onetier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onetier Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 26

I bought one. I haven't used it very much but what I used as practicing to try it out I really liked what I achieved. The problem is, apparently I've read they aren't making them anymore (at least not where I am.. Ontario Canada). This really bums me out.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 26

I love mine and have very good luck with it. I took a class from the lady that invented the method and it was the best money and time I could have spent. She has step by step videos on you tube http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=silhouette%20%20electronic%20cutter&search=Search&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&spell=1 making gumpaste (1-3) and working with gumpaste by deseret designs. Well worth your time to watch them.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 3:48am
post #4 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakedCT

I see on CC that there are posts dating back to 2009 regarding the machine.

I am thinking of buying on here where I live, the place where I am getting it from says they can't give me a demo.I just have to order and they direct me to watch video demos online. Watching a demo is not the same as working the machine yourself.

Is there anybody who has the CAKE, do you like it, does it work or was it a waste of money??

And also where is the cheapest place to buy cartridges? The price of cartridges here are like $114 for 1. Which I think is ridiculous if I check prices online.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am busy saving up for my machine, almost there but scared I will be wasting my money.

I bought the Cricut Cake Mini from www.joann.com for $99 this week [it might still be on sale].

Got it in today and everything I tried cutting came out perfect....I think I will love it!

If you watch the www.joann.com site, they often have cartridges on sale for about $39 US.

tiggy2 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 3:50am
post #5 of 26

If you get Make The Cut software you wont have to buy any cartridges.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 4:26am
post #6 of 26

I love what it's capable of, but I have found it's just not practical for my purposes... it just takes too long to do anything. If I have all the time in the world to decorate one cake, then no problem. But if I have more then one cake I need to bang out? Ug. So much faster to just use cutters.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 5:53am
post #7 of 26

Jumping in to ask a question, I hope you don't mind.

I understand the regular one does bigger sizes. For most cakes, will the mini be enough? I see the mini is on sale at Joann Fabrics and I'm really tempted to get it. However, if what I really need is the regular one, I don't want to spend the money now and then have to purchase another one later. So far, that and the McClure controversy is holding me back from buying either one. Yet mamma really wants a cake toy like this! lol

bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 1:31pm
post #8 of 26

The mini cake works just as well as the regular cake machine. The difference is the size mat. I use the cricut create in my shop in addition to using the Silhouette cake machine. The Silhouette has several advantages over the cricut. It actually cuts designs out faster then a cricut does and the print and cut feature is great.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 1:56pm
post #9 of 26

I have been wanting to get this too but am afraid that it will not be worth the money since I don't do cakes to sell.

Maybe I should just splurge (commission check, yeah!) and spend $100 on this and have some fun. Sometimes you just have to get something fun instead of just pay the bills.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 2:38pm
post #10 of 26

I'm in the same boat, kristiemarie. I don't do much volume, but I want to splurge and get it. If I get proficient at it, it would keep me from buying cutters. I supposed I wouldn't be considering it at all if I could manage to cut fondant without creating ragged edges. Hmm, keep practicing or splurge?

tiggy2 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 3:04pm
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniekaye

The mini cake works just as well as the regular cake machine. The difference is the size mat. I use the create in my shop in addition to using the Silhouette cake machine. The Silhouette has several advantages over the . It actually cuts designs out faster then a does and the print and cut feature is great.

I also have the silhouette and LOVE it! If you're going to buy one get it from Linda McClure's website so you get her DVD and gumpaste blade with it. Make The Cut software also works with the Silhouette. The silhouette is smaller and easier to store icon_biggrin.gif It also doesn't require expensive cartridges. Do your homework before you buy.

nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 3:24pm
post #12 of 26

Ok, this might be a stupid question, but what is the difference between a digital cutter used for scrapbooking and one used for cakes? The reason I ask is that I have the silouhette digital cutter for making cards etc and I was wondering why I couldn't just use this to cut out gumpaste. I understand that I maybe need to buy a special mat and blade, but do I need to buy a seperate machine??

tiggy2 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 3:39pm
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanefy

Ok, this might be a stupid question, but what is the difference between a digital cutter used for scrapbooking and one used for cakes? The reason I ask is that I have the silouhette digital cutter for making cards etc and I was wondering why I couldn't just use this to cut out gumpaste. I understand that I maybe need to buy a special mat and blade, but do I need to buy a seperate machine??

That is the same silhouette as used for cakes. You could contact Linda and see if she would sell you the blade (she's the only one that has it). I'd also suggest her DVD for the sillhouette and check out her youtube videos.

jennylynn1608 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennylynn1608 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 4:07pm
post #14 of 26

I love my cake cricut. I have only used my own fondant and gumpaste with it though. I can't bring myself to spend that much money on frosting sheets that are premade and taste nasty.it took a little practice getting the right consistency of fondant but i had a cake made within the first night. and i had never covered a cake with fondant previous to buying the cake cricut. I bought the full-sized cake cricut instead of the mini. If you watch michaels and joanns sales you can find the large on for 200.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1941567

sanb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sanb Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 5:31pm
post #15 of 26

I just got mine from Jo-anns - the full sized one for $199. I had it shipped to a friend just across the border as the do not deliver it to Canada. Still trying to figure out how to get it to work!! LOL.

bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 6:39pm
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanefy

You can order just the cake package from Linda to use with your Silhouette. You have to have the blade that she sells for gum paste. It cuts gum paste the best.

tiggy2 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:44pm
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanb

I just got mine from Jo-anns - the full sized one for $199. I had it shipped to a friend just across the border as the do not deliver it to Canada. Still trying to figure out how to get it to work!! LOL.

Did you watch the youtube videos I posted above?

sanb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sanb Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 1:16am
post #18 of 26

Yes tiggy2 I finally got down to watching it today. It was a bg help. Thanks so much.

wespam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wespam Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 12:12pm
post #19 of 26

Question please, can you make stencils with the Cricut mini? Pam

tiggy2 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 1:15pm
post #20 of 26

I don't see why not. I use grafix clear-lay plastic film .005 found in the art department. You'll have it to cut it down to fit the 6 x 12 mat. I also use the deep cut housing and blade.

BakedCT Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 6:07am
post #21 of 26

thanks for all the posts guys. Now the problem is trying to find cheapest place to get cartridges.

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 6:47am
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakedCT

thanks for all the posts guys. Now the problem is trying to find cheapest place to get cartridges.

as mentioned earlier, look into software programs such as "Make the Cut" or "Sure Cuts A Lot". I own the latter (SCAL) and love it! They both allow you to use any .svg image you can find online and cut it out. Paired with the (free) Inkscape software, any image can become .svg, therefore any image can be cut! They both are the cost of one cartridge, so its a quick one-time purchase =D hth!

BakedCT Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 6:52am
post #23 of 26

thanks.
Can it be used with cricut cake machine? are the any videos online that show how the software works.

In my country we are very far behind with things and the shipping price on importing stuff is usually triple what the product would cost.

Will do my research on that.

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 7:26am
post #24 of 26

yes i use scal w/my cricut cake all the time! plus, it can be easily downloaded from their website so you won't have to incur any shipping costs or wait for the product to arrive. there are plenty of videos on youtube if you do a quick search, but better than all that, you can actually try the software before you buy! it cuts a large X in the image so it can't be used, but its great to get the feel of the software to see if you like it =D

http://www.mycuttingbuddy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12

Dawanka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawanka Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 1:34pm
post #25 of 26

I have the cake mini and I haven't been able to use it, it keeps "breaking" the first time it didn't update correctly so I called and they helped. Now I tried to cut using the gypsy and it tells me its not connected over and over again. I gave up and then cut out 3 images then I turned it off changed cartridges and it wouldn't work and made a loud noise like a fire alarm so I unplugged it and all restarted and it was still doing it. I reset it this morning and now the blade stays in the houseing area and its vibrating with a buzzing noise and the lcd screen is blank. This is crazy.

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 2:04pm
post #26 of 26

I got my cricut cake online at
http://www.cricutmachine.com/index.php?cPath=53

They have bundles that come with ALL of the cake cartridges which is great. When I got mine the bundle was on sale and it was $329 WITH delivery to Canada. That was cheaper than I could have bought it for here WITHOUT the cartridges. I love mine and can cut such intricate patterens that I would never be able to do with cutters and have never had any of the problems that I have read about. In my photos there is a black and white cake I used my cricut for the top and bottom tier. If you run into any problems feee free to PM me...would be happy to help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%