Gum Glue Shelf Life...

Decorating By TexasSugar Updated 22 Jan 2007 , 11:33pm by Cakepro

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 8:23am
post #1 of 11

In the new Wilton Fondant and Gumpaste Course, the students use Gum Glue Adhesive (1/4t gumpaste to 1T water) in three of the lessons. In Wilton's directions it says to store unused portions in the fridge for up to 1 week.

I know Wilton seems to be conserative on the time frames of their icings. They say their Class Buttercream will last on the counter for several weeks, when I have stored it in the fridge for months. With Royal icing they say is good for two weeks, when I have read people on here keeping it for longer.

So my question is, for those that have used the Gum Glue made with gumpaste and water, how long can you realisticly store it and safely use it. I'd like to save my students from making it weekly if I can.

Unfortunetly I have used mostly vanilla and piping gel to attach things together, so I don't have a lot of experince with the Gum Glue and it's storage.

Any tips or thoughts on the shelf life of gum glue are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

10 replies
torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 9:54am
post #2 of 11

I use tylose and boiled water mix and store in an unused nailpolish bottle in the fridge....I made the last batch 3 months ago and it is still going strong...I have one bottle for flowers and tint it green (it gives the petals more depth) and another bottle for all my other work.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 11

I have kept Tylose gum glue in the refrigerator for nearly a year. Eventually it will get moldy but I keep mine in clear new nail polish bottles from the beauty supply and you can tell immediately by looking when it has passed it's shelf life. It is so inexpensive to make that I just dump it and make a new batch.

TexasSugar Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 11

So you can tell when it has gone bad? That's good to know. icon_smile.gif

Thanks that helps. I just wanted to make sure they could safely keep it for three weeks for the use in the class. With as little as we use every week I'd hate for them to have to make it over and over every week.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 7:45am
post #5 of 11

Wow, the unused nail polish bottle is a fantastic tip! icon_smile.gif

ShirleyW Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 7:58am
post #6 of 11

Yes, the glue begins to turn kind of yellowish when it gets too old and then within a day or two you will see mold in the bottle. On the empty nail polish bottles, I get them through the beauty supply, very inexpensive and having the screw on top with the brush makes it perfect for just brushing on a small amount of glue to a gumpaste petal.

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 8:09am
post #7 of 11

Wow! Thanks for sharing that tip!

ShirleyW Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 11:07pm
post #8 of 11

Your welcome.

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 11:10pm
post #9 of 11

Just a luker. But love the info.

TexasSugar Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 11:15pm
post #10 of 11

Thank you ShirleyW for the information! I feel better being able to pass the infromation about the color change to my students.

I bought some new 'polish' bottles at the last convention figuring I would use them for something like this one day. icon_smile.gif

Thanks again!!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 11:33pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by torki

I use tylose and boiled water mix and store in an unused nailpolish bottle in the fridge....I made the last batch 3 months ago and it is still going strong...I have one bottle for flowers and tint it green (it gives the petals more depth) and another bottle for all my other work.

What's the ratio of tylose to water?

BTW, I adore your avatar!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%