Pure Vanilla Cupcake

Baking By Sweet_Kakes Updated 23 Feb 2011 , 3:14pm by cylstrial

Sweet_Kakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Kakes Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 2:01am
post #1 of 13

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for amazing vanilla cupcakes that bake up with a nice dome?? I have tried many different recipes and still have not found the ONE...

12 replies
zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 6:45am
post #2 of 13

This one works for me, tasty, domed, yummy. Do a search for 'vanilla buttermilk cake' on this page:
http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/07/project-wedding-cake-the-cake-is-baked/

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 1:20pm
post #3 of 13

Zespri - does that recipe work well for cupcakes?

My vanilla cake recipe uses buttermilk and a lot of butter (like that recipe), and I hate the way that the cupcakes bake up. It's absolutely delicious - for cakes, but if I can find a better vanilla cupcake recipe, I'm all ears too.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 13

cylstrial -

What part of your recipe do you not like about your cupcakes? I was curious because I am about to try a recipe that is just like how you describe.

zespri Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 13

I find the same thing with some recipes, good for cakes, but not cupcakes. This is not one of those recipes, it's delicious for both icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

My vanilla cake recipe uses buttermilk and a lot of butter (like that recipe), and I hate the way that the cupcakes bake up. It's absolutely delicious - for cakes, but if I can find a better vanilla cupcake recipe, I'm all ears too.

cylstrial Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

cylstrial -

What part of your recipe do you not like about your cupcakes? I was curious because I am about to try a recipe that is just like how you describe.

Well, they still taste delicious! But they just don't bake up as well. I think it has something to do with all the butter. Instead of having a pretty dome, they bake kind of flat and not necessarily round. They end up looking ok when you put the frosting on - but I would still like to find a white vanilla cupcake recipe that domes beautifully.

Be very careful not to over fill them - it's only the ones that get slightly overfilled that are not perfectly round.

cylstrial Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 2:33pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by zespri

I find the same thing with some recipes, good for cakes, but not cupcakes. This is not one of those recipes, it's delicious for both icon_smile.gif

Quote:

Thanks! I'll see if they will bake up in cupcake form for me then! Thanks!

LindaF144a Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 3:10pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:

Quote:

cylstrial -

Well, they still taste delicious! But they just don't bake up as well. I think it has something to do with all the butter. Instead of having a pretty dome, they bake kind of flat and not necessarily round. They end up looking ok when you put the frosting on - but I would still like to find a white vanilla cupcake recipe that domes beautifully.

Be very careful not to over fill them - it's only the ones that get slightly overfilled that are not perfectly round.

I don't see your cupcake recipe on here. Can you post it?
Thanks.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 3:30pm
post #9 of 13

America's Test Kitchen said that using vanilla powder is the best way to get a true vanilla taste (or the paste but it might had liquid). I am going to order some today to try.

As far as getting a dome shape I usually add a bit more to my cupcake liner than required.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 6:33pm
post #10 of 13

Buddy Valastro's vanilla cream cake bakes in perfect domes, bt it is a very different texture. Two cups of italian vanilla custard are added to the cake batter. There is a recent discussion about this cake. The recipe is in his book.

zespri Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 6:56pm
post #11 of 13

The dome can be achieved by cooking at a higher temperature for the first five minutes, then turning the temperature down to your normal temp.

Quote:

Quote:

cylstrial -

LindaF144a Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 8:19pm
post #12 of 13

I actually got a dome somehow on a bunch of cupcakes I was making. I prefer flat, go figure. We each have our own way of wanting a cupcake come out. I wasn't crazy about how the dome looked and I couldn't pile as much frosting on as I liked. So I don't bother to get a dome anymore.

BTW, after a ton of experiments I can honestly say that jacking up the oven is not the best way to do this. Be mindful of the time, because you are cooking them faster. You can dry them out that way. Also the amount of batter in your cup will make a difference also. You want a little more than you think, probably almost full to the top of the liner depending on your recipe, etc.

I prefer a cupcake that rises evenly up past the liner but does not overflow. It is a fine line between that and over spill. I have found the best way to get that is to up the oven about 10 degrees past 350. Just enough to bake it faster without causing a volcanic dome.

Also your recipe will be key in getting a domed top also. A thin batter may not rise as well as a thicker batter.

cylstrial Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 3:14pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by zespri

The dome can be achieved by cooking at a higher temperature for the first five minutes, then turning the temperature down to your normal temp.

Quote:

Quote:

cylstrial -

I know, I have two cupcake recipes that don't dome. One is this vanilla and one is my carrot cupcakes. They bake great as cakes and they still taste good as cupcakes...but both recipes have A LOT of butter and I think that's why they don't dome. Because I have tried getting them to dome (by raising them temp for a few extra minutes), all of my other cupcakes dome just fine when I do that. But the others don't use butter like these recipes do. It doesn't really matter that much. I'm just in the same boat as the OP and want to find another vanilla cupcake recipe. I'll still use this one for my vanilla cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%