Just Got A Nice Order:-)

Business By leah_s Updated 20 Feb 2011 , 6:47am by mommachris

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 33

candy buffet for 250 + 750 cruffles (cake balls). Since I consider the cruffles a PITA, I charged $2 each.

::happy dance:: Until I start making those things, of course.

32 replies
sheena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheena Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 33

Happy for you icon_smile.gif

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 33

Sweet! pun intended.. Your work is exquisite!

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 33

Great for you!!! Congrats.
May I ask, what is your Candy Buffet?

And I am with you on the cake balls...!!!

chachagyrl22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chachagyrl22 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 33

Congrats to you thumbs_up.gif. I googled candy buffets and they look awesome. I was wondering if I could ask where you purchase the candy and do you let the bride pic out what kind of candy? Thanks

leah_s Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 33

selection of candy displayed in glass containers, lights, props.

www.LouisvilleCandyBuffet.com

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 33

Having just made a piddly 16 cake balls last night, I certainly agree on the PITA!

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 5:05pm
post #8 of 33

Ok, that's what I thought you meant. We had a "Sweet" Sweet 16 party for my twins and the cake table was loaded with tons of candies in clear containers, but this was a few years ago...I didn't know they had a "real name" for it! LOL

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 5:20pm
post #9 of 33

Good for you..I wish I was busier....

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 5:25pm
post #10 of 33

Congratulations! They may be a PIA, but I would think that there wouldn't be as much stress in them.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 5:43pm
post #11 of 33

Holy Money batman! Good for you!

leah_s Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 7:19pm
post #12 of 33

For the candy buffets, no the bride does not pick the candy. I guarantee at least 5 varieties of candy including a chocolate, a gummy, a sour and a crunch. Generally speaking I mold hearts or another shape in chocolate of the color scheme, use the same chocolate to over stripe yogurt and chocolate covered pretzels and start shopping. I have a local bulk shop that can order for me, and other candies I buy from Oh Nuts! It's a bit of a scavenger hunt!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 7:33pm
post #13 of 33

Rock and roll, babe!! thumbs_up.gif

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 11:07pm
post #14 of 33

Good job! How are you going to display 750 cake truffles? Did you talk the carpenter into making you a tiered display stand? I remember you asking for the pic of the tall large stand for cake pops a while back.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 11:34pm
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Good for you..I wish I was busier....

I'm with you!!!

Congrats on the order!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 11:38pm
post #16 of 33

Congrats!!!!

I've been cautiously excited lately because I think I got hooked up with a venue/catering place who can have me do some of their wedding cakes (I say "some" because I am not physically able to do all of them...but they were gracious enough to like my work enough to want me to do the upper packages) and they are fine with my pricing and everything. icon_smile.gif

I haven't done the first cake yet which is why I say "cautiously" but still...its the break I've been looking for.... more buttercream and scrolls "bread and butter" cakes instead of all the detailed party cakes.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 12:02am
post #17 of 33

Yay! I actually just discovered cruffles this year and had a blast with them. Then again, I only make enough for work or my kids, so I would never ever have to make a number like that icon_smile.gif ... congratulations, and good for you for charging what you're worth!!

leah_s Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 12:10am
post #18 of 33

January through March his year are lean, and that's putting it mildly. I've got almost no work. Starting in April however, it's slammin'. Of course all the advertising and shows and such are January through March. Lots of $ out, not much in

j0z1e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j0z1e Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 12:11am
post #19 of 33

I made some cake balls yesterday and they're almost gone! They're terrible to have around because you can so easily pop them in your mouth, lol >.<

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 1:04am
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

January through March his year are lean, and that's putting it mildly. I've got almost no work. Starting in April however, it's slammin'. Of course all the advertising and shows and such are January through March. Lots of $ out, not much in

That seems fairly standard, isn't it? I've been lean too, but at least for me, since I don't have a shop, its a nice break.

leah_s Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 1:07am
post #21 of 33

Usually Feb and Mar are reasonably good months and July and August are slow. Reversed this year.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 1:19am
post #22 of 33

I charge the same for my cake truffles...to me they are a considerable investment in time!

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 1:33am
post #23 of 33

Congratulations, Leah!

BTW, when you make your cruffles, approximately what size are yours? I've been using a small ice cream scoop to measure mine out and everyone seems pleased with them, but I wondered what size(s) others are selling.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 1:46am
post #24 of 33

Mine are able to fit into mini cupcakes papers. About the size of a walnut, maybe a tad smaller.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 2:09am
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

Mine are able to fit into mini cupcakes papers. About the size of a walnut, maybe a tad smaller.

same here icon_smile.gif

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 2:23am
post #26 of 33

Am so happy for you.
btw- just looked at you candy buffet link. I am drooling. thumbs_up.gif

Hillywu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hillywu Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 2:36am
post #27 of 33

OH wow! That's great!

momd68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momd68 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 2:47am
post #28 of 33

I have never heard of candy buffets. Wow.. So when people do candy buffets do they have someone to give out so much to the guest? I am doing a party this summer and this is something I am very interested in having. How do I know how much candy to get? TIA

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 3:12am
post #29 of 33

Woo hoo! Happy money dance time!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 3:22am
post #30 of 33

Congrats Leah! I just made 650 mini cupcakes and about 300 cake balls for a fund raiser tomorrow. They were all a pain but I figure if people are willing to pay $40 for 2 oz of soup at a time, I want to meet them! icon_biggrin.gif

I make by cake balls about 1" across. Once they are dipped, 8 of them make a perfect 1/2 lb, which is how I sell them. I just really put some in the window and started selling them around Valentine's Day and have they taken off. One of my brides decided to have them on her cake instead of flowers. People seem to like the smaller size too since they are so rich.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%