Help W Fondant

Decorating By frostedbakery Updated 20 Feb 2011 , 4:42am by frostedbakery

frostedbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frostedbakery Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 3:50am
post #1 of 4

i am making square towers out of rk treats and have covered them in a layer of buttercream....i have cut out the different colored fondant squarees but how do i attach them to the buttercream? or if anyone has a better idea of how to make different colored checkered square towers....i am ALL ears!! thanks icon_smile.gif

3 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 4

As far as the pieces go, I would cover like a cake, so you only have 1 seam at the back. Or if you have to do the top square as a separate piece, then put a border of some kind (can be BC or fondant) to cover the seams
However, I am having trouble trying to envision the towers you are referring to - could you post a pic?

lynn1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynn1968 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 4

i think i understand your problem. you cut out squares of fondant and need to know how to 'paste' them to the tower without falling off? i'd say the problem area is the bottom, with the weight of the top squares wanting to push the bottom squares out. to just attach the squares to the BC may not hold, but using royal icing may just pull the BC off anyway, am i right? now i'm wondering if you cover a tall structure with fondant, will the weight of the bottom part pull down the top portion? i would think a square tower would 'pull' more than a round, but that's just my knee-jerk thought on it.

i'd say that if you can cover the whole thing in fondant, it'd be by far more sound to paint the squares on one piece of fondant. granted, it probably wouldn't look as good, but far better than a pile of fondant rubble at the base of the tower, lol.

perhaps if you used thicker pieces of fondant at the base to support thinner tiles at the top, that may help? then again, maybe BC or royal icing (not even quite sure if you should us RI on BC) will support the tiles anyway. have you done any experimenting with it?

frostedbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frostedbakery Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 4:42am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for insight I ended up using piping gel to 'glue' the pieces in....cake is due on mon...heres hoping icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%