Rolling Sponge Cake Like A Jellyroll

Baking By Holly-Cakes Updated 19 Feb 2011 , 8:14pm by Holly-Cakes

Holly-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Holly-Cakes Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 5

Today I tried rolling a sponge cake like a jellyroll. Complete failure.

I made 1 cake mix and spread it out into 2 cookie sheet pans lined with partchment paper. Baked 15 minutes and used the old toothpick check. Cake cooked completly.
removed pans from oven. Removed parchment paper and cake. Placed another parchment paper on top side of cake. rolled everything into a roll width wise.

Let that cool about 1 hour before handling again.

Unrolled partchemnt/sponge cake and the cake split all the way through so it was no longer a roll.

1) Did I make it to thin?
2) Am I supposed to let it cool in the pan before rolling it?

Any help would be appreciated.

4 replies
CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 5

I have never done this and would love to know how too... but i think i heard at one time or another that you should roll the cake while its still warm. Can someone confirm?

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 5

No do not let it cool, that is why a total failure.

Lay out a damp tea towel and place parchment over the top. Empty cake out onto this whilst still warm.
Spread any filling and then using the teatowel, roll the cake. Voila done!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Cakes

Removed parchment paper and cake. Placed another parchment paper on top side of cake. rolled everything into a roll width wise.

Unrolled partchemnt/sponge cake...

We never handled them warm, they were always frozen or partial frozen. They were also never completely removed from the parchment paper and never unrolled for any reason. Keep the cake on the parchment it's baked on, fill, bend the top 1" or so of cake over while pressing on the parchment paper side to get a nice tightly rolled start, peel away the parchment just enough to get a good grip on it with both hands, pull the parchment towards you while using enough downward pressure to get the cake to stick to itself as it rolls. When it's completely rolled up, release the parchment paper back onto the flat surface, and roll the entire log backwards right back onto the same parchment. Now that it's wrapped, it's easier to handle. You can chill it in the freezer or refrigerator until needed or until you're ready to ice it if it's going to be decorated.

Holly-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Holly-Cakes Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 8:14pm
post #5 of 5

Today I tried again. This time making my sponge cake mix from scratch.
same thing cack cracked/broke apart. How much batter should I be putting in the pans? Maybe I am making the cake too thick?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%