Does Dulce De Leche Need To Be Refrigerated?

Decorating By Tor1985 Updated 16 Mar 2011 , 3:27pm by cabecakes

Tor1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tor1985 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 12:52am
post #1 of 6

I just made a batch using the microwave method, I plan on filling my cakes tomorrow and the cake will be eaten on Saturday night. The cake will be covered in mmf so I can't put it in the fridge...will the dulce de leche be okay to sit out for 24 hours or will it spoil?

Thanks

5 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 2:10am
post #2 of 6

what recipe did you use? i know some are stable, but i've seen a couple that are recommended to refrigerate

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 2:29am
post #3 of 6

I always put my MMF in the fridge never have any problems with it at all I wouldn't hessitate.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 6

I've made Dulce de leche from condensed milk, in my experience it doesn't have to be kept in the fridge.

Now a days I just buy the pre made stuff.

Tor1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tor1985 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the replies, I didn't end up using it, I was scared it would spoil.
My MMF covered cake didn't do well in the fridge...wonder why??
Thanks again for all the help

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 6

It has been my experience that it all depends on the humidity in your area and the temperature. When you store your fondant covered cake in the refrigerator or freeze and then take it out, it begins to condensate. Your MMF is made up mostly of sugar. Well, obviously, you know what happens when sugar and water mix. The sugar begins to melt. This is multiplied by the warmer heat. Usually if it is not real humid or hot, you can place a fan on low blowing on the cake to help dry up some of the moisture. But, it has been my experience that it is better to just not refrigerate or freeze fondant. On a different note though...I do freeze my MMF. I just take it out of the freezer and microwave for a FEW seconds. Then let it come to room temp. I can then use it just as though you would regular mmf. Once thawed, you may need to put back in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds depending on size of ball to soften enough to knead it. As far as the dulce le leche filling...I have seen different recipes that require some to be refrigerated and some that do not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%