Strange ? Appearance To Customers....

Business By KakesbyKris Updated 19 Feb 2011 , 2:30pm by cylstrial

KakesbyKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakesbyKris Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 17

I had my first tasting, it went well, they booked me.

As I was talking with them, I pulled out my phone to use the calculator to add up the totals on the contract. I do not have a "smart phone." Never wanted/needed one. It does everything I have wanted it to. I can make/receive calls, text, and check my email. As I pulled it out though it hit me that the couple in front of me both had Iphones sitting on the table and I became self conscious. I started worrying that it made me look less sophisticated, professional, serious, know what I mean.

I like having a calendar that I actually write in and a phone that just does what I need it to and not a lot of other stuff that's just there. I also want to be taken serious though. It happens that my contract is up in April and I could go to a "smart phone."

So my question is, is this an image problem I should fix? Do you think it matters. In this technoligical age, do we need to have the latest techie toys?

16 replies
MariahS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariahS Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 17

I think you're worrying too much - they probably could have cared less what kind of phone you had. Smartphones aren't for everyone. If YOU like your phone and it has the features that YOU like - that's all that matters. I can't imagine a client coming in for cake would be concerned that you aren't high tech enough. Now, if you were a web designer or something like that, I could see it as an image thing but...I wouldn't worry about it icon_smile.gif Or just start carrying a small calculator hehe icon_smile.gif

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 17

I don't think
"the old fashioned lady who does AWESOME cakes"
is any less desirable than
"the lady with the iphone who does AWESOME cakes"!

njusaguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
njusaguy Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 17

Don't get caught up in the "keeping up with the Jones's" mentality. If your cakes look and taste good and you are professional and reliable, that's what counts. If I were going to a cake artist, I would not care if they keep their books on napkins and use a rotary dial land-line. Product and service are the bottom line.

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 17

definitely don't worry! trust me people don't base how much they like your cakes based on your phone heehee! if you want a new phone go get one! i love my smart phone and recommend it fully (tmobile mytouch) but like others have said, if you like your phone don't change it =D

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 11:21pm
post #6 of 17

My day job is in IT and I regularly work with cutting-edge enterprise business systems...but my personal cell phone is an old Nokia, and I use it solely for making calls. I don't even have a text or data plan, since I've never been in a situation where a phone call wouldn't do the trick, or one where internet access was necessary and a computer wasn't nearby. It's all about choosing the right tools for the right job (and the right price, we pay $45/month for a family plan with 2 lines).

We also still have standard-definition TVs in the house, since the value proposition for HDTV is just not there (SD quality is just fine).

When we do tastings, we have a pencil, engineer's pad, and an old-school four function calculator.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 11:37pm
post #7 of 17

I can see why you would feel this way (and I am an iPhone junkie) however you are being judged on your cakes not your phone. Honestly iPhones can be a total waste of money for people who don't need all the features. Where the phone is totally irrelevant your website is important. If it's not professional looking and easy to use that could loose you business but once you get them in the door I don't think anyone is worrying about your phoneicon_smile.gif

KakesbyKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakesbyKris Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 11:54pm
post #8 of 17

Thanks everyone. I've just started on the wedding side so I haven't had to have these meetings with clients. Just want to make sure I get it right, say the right things, do the right things, you know. My husband and a dear friend razz me all the time that I don't have the latest toys. Never thought about it being an issue for business.
Thank you all again! icon_biggrin.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 12:58am
post #9 of 17

When it comes to image, I think your car should be clean, your dress should be business or business casual with few wrinkles and NO cleavage (butt, breast, or otherwise), your hair should be neat, and your nails should be clean. You also need to appear organized, knowledgeable, unflustered, and friendly.

Nope. Nothing in there about a phone. I would set it to silent, though. Think of it this way: you don't want to appear as if your overhead is extraordinarily high because you like gadgets.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 1:24am
post #10 of 17

I don't think your phone matters any more to your customers than whether the brides engagement diamond is bigger than yours. haha. (And while I have a gorgeous diamond, most of my brides and customers have bigger ones! LOL!)

What matters is that you are clean and your cakes look and taste GREAT. And that you come across competent and professional, yet friendly and relaxed.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 1:43am
post #11 of 17

There are some things about appearance at a tasting that really matter. I always dress professionally (no jeans) and make sure that my home and kitchen (home based legal baker) are immaculate. I don't think what kind of phone you have matters at all.

VanillaCoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaCoke Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 2:40am
post #12 of 17

I'd agree. If you were their cell phone customer service lady, then maybe. But in this case, no! icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 2:58pm
post #13 of 17

I'd buy a seperate calculator to use before I bought a more expensive phone I didn't need or really want that will increase your phone bill.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 3:03pm
post #14 of 17

I second the calculator thing!

Anyway I wanted to add that the reason I wrote that about the diamond wedding ring is that you'd have to admit that MOST of our customers are going to be "richer" than we are. That's why they are our customers! I know I would not buy a cake from myself but there are people who have the money and are willing to spend it on a fancy cake. Those people also usually have nice cars, nice jewelery, and nice phones!

I don't think they expect us to look rich....they just expect us to know our job and be competent.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:48pm
post #15 of 17

If I were that couple, I wouldn't be thinking "OMGoodnes, LOOK at her phone!"

I WOULD be thinking: "she must not do this very often if she has to use her phone as a calculator."

Buy a professional looking calculator that makes you look like you do this all the time, as well as a professional looking binder, trend setting tasting dishes, or organized disposables, and have all contracts/paperwork free of spelling errors, wrinkles, and etc. (not saying you do/don't do any of those things!)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 6:57pm
post #16 of 17

My order forms were all in excel and they were formula driven so I never had to use a calculator at all. Does that make me super high tech!? icon_biggrin.gif

I'd just plug in the number of servings and my formulas would figure the total cost, then transfer that number to the master summery form, where the formulas automatically calculated any military discount, the sales tax, the deposit required and the balance due.

I just typed "125" on the laptop and I had 2 forms filled out and done! thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 2:30pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

My order forms were all in excel and they were formula driven so I never had to use a calculator at all. Does that make me super high tech!? icon_biggrin.gif

I'd just plug in the number of servings and my formulas would figure the total cost, then transfer that number to the master summery form, where the formulas automatically calculated any military discount, the sales tax, the deposit required and the balance due.

I just typed "125" on the laptop and I had 2 forms filled out and done! thumbs_up.gif

That sounds so nice and easy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%