I Am A Beginner Fondant Cake Maker With 10 Questions??????

Baking By kneenah Updated 16 Feb 2011 , 11:31pm by kneenah

kneenah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneenah Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 7

I have been making cakes for about 2 months and I enjoy making it but i have a few questions that i would love for someone to answer I wanna makes sure i am doing things right........

1. How do i use the flower nail to bake my cake?

2. when cake is done and suran wrap do i place is in the frig?

3. when the mmf is made do i store it in the frig?

4. I normally make my cakes from box and ice the them with the over the counter frosting in container, is it ok to ice the cake with that frosting, I also fill it with that frosting?

5. Is frosting and Icing the same thing?

6. once the cake is covered in frosting/icing do i have to place it in the frig to get hard before i cover with fondant?

7.once i am done making things like shoes or make up do i place it in the frig to keep it preserved till i need it for the cake?

8. how long in advance can i start to make the decorations for a cake?

9. which is the best icing or easy home made fillings recommended for beginners?

10. Any books of dvds recommended for beginners?

6 replies
AmyBee89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyBee89 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 7

I'm a beginner too, but I was just looking at this so I can answer
1. http://cakecentral.com/articles/651/cake-baking-flower-nail-method-tutorial

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 7

Hi kneenah,

I've only been doing cakes for a little over a year, but hopefully my suggestions can help you.....Everyone is different so the way I do things may not be how the next persons reply is but you can find what works best for you:

* I spray it with pam and stick it in the middle of batter, pokey side up. When your cake comes out, you flip it over and the nail pops right up. It's supposed to keep your cake nice and level while it bakes so you don't get a huge dome. I found that wrapping the pan in thin strips of wet towel, secured with safety pins works better. I think there's a tutorial on the flower nail under articles here on CC

* Once baked and cooled, I wrap tightly with a few layers in all directions. I normally place my cakes in the freezer if it's going to be a few days before I decorate.

* Not necessary. You can leave it in an airtight container or baggie on the counter.

4. I normally make my cakes from box and ice the them with the over the counter frosting in container, is it ok to ice the cake with that frosting, I also fill it with that frosting?
* You can do that, I don't see why not, but if you're going to cover the cake in fondant, you're better off using a crusting buttercream or ganache under the fondant. You can check the recipes for something that you might light. The buttercream and ganache have a thicker density so they would probably make for a better filling as well.

* I think so... ?

6. once the cake is covered in frosting/icing do i have to place it in the frig to get hard before i cover with fondant?
* Use a crusting buttercream (or ganache). Crusting BC is 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening with powdered sugar. you leave the frosted cake out for a little while and the frosting gets 'crusty'

7.once i am done making things like shoes or make up do i place it in the frig to keep it preserved till i need it for the cake?
* NO!! Sometimes the fridge will melt Gumpaste, or will cause condensation to form on the pieces when you pull them out (they're going from cold to room temp they'll 'sweat')

* I do mine a week or so in advance and let them sit out to dry

9. which is the best icing or easy home made fillings recommended for beginners?
* I would check the recipe section of CC for this. Read the comments that others have posted and that may give you an idea on how easy or difficult the recipe may be.

* I'm not sure... what I did find, was that Cake Decorating for Dummies was really super basic. I was disappointed. Everything in that book can be found by surfing around on CC or the internet

Hope that helps! thumbs_up.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 7

Spray the flour nail with nonstick spray and place it upside down in the middle of the pan before you put the batter in the pan. It will help the center of the cake cook evenly.

I don't refrigerate cakes. Some people freeze them overnight to make them more moist. You can if you want to. The fridge dries out cakes.

Wrap it in plastic wrap, and store it in a ziplock bag. Keep it on the counter for up to a week, wrapped up. If you want to store it longer than that, freeze it.

You can use that frosting if you especially like it but you will probably get better results making your own buttercream, especially if you want to get the buttercream smooth. You can fill it with that frosting or with buttercream or any filling you want, really. If a filling has to be refrigerated (like pudding or whipped cream) then the cake will have to go in the fridge.

Yes. I think the word usage varies by region but both mean putting frosting on your cake.

That depends on your preference. I like to put fondant on a chilled cake, but some people don't like the condensation that forms on the fondant as the cake returns to room temperature. Try it both ways and see what works better for you.

No. Don't put gumpaste or fondant decorations in the fridge. Store them in a box to protect them from dust and to keep them from fading. Don't wrap the box in plastic wrap or put the pieces in an airtight bag unless they're totally dry.

Gumpaste or fondant decorations will keep for months. If you want the decorations to be soft, don't make them in advance.

I like Indydebi's buttercream. You can find the recipe in the recipe section on this website.

I like Debbie Brown's books but it really depends on what you're wanting to do. The best thing to do when you're shopping for a book is just go to the bookstore and look through the cake books until you see one whose style you like. Also read a few of the insructions and see if they make sense to you. Some books are easier to learn from than others.[/b]

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 10:50pm
post #5 of 7

Welcome to CC!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coat your flower nail with Pam or cake release and place it in the pan (flat head side down) and pour your batter around it. I have forgotten to do this and stuck it in the pan after I poured the batter in and that worked fine too.

No need to refrigerate the cake itself (decorated or undecorated) unless you have used a perishable filling between layers.
You can freeze cakes if wrapped well for a couple of weeks.

I believe MMF is better left at room temperature and can be stored that way for a few weeks but I don't make it so others will have to respond.

Generally store bought frosting is too soft to use to decorate and fill a cake. If you want that very professional straight and smooth buttercream, a homemade buttercream or decorators buttercream is best. The two most popular recipes here seem to be Indydebi's Buttercream and SugarShack's Buttercream. You can find both in the recipe section.

Yes

When covering with fondant it is a good idea to chill the cake so the frosting sets up well. Also if you're using buttercream under fondant be careful not too put too thick of a layer or it may cause the fondant to sag.

Do not put gumpaste or fondant figures in the fridge the humidity and change in temperature generally causes these things to melt. All your figuers can be stored in a plain baker box until needed. Bows, Flowers and shoes can last for months because they will not spoil and are not intended to be eaten.

Depends on the decorations. If they are to harden, flowers, bows etc, then weeks in advance is fine. If they need to be soft either day of or a couple of days in advance but stored in an air-tight container so they do not dry out.

Wilton is the easiest but far from the tastiest. Between Indydebi's and SugarShacks I think more people can find the ingredients for Indydebi since her's is Crisco based. Sugarshack recommends a Hi-Ratio shortening which is available at Cake supply stores or online. But honestly many people make SugarShacks recipe with store brand shortening.

www.sugaredproductions.com
Perfecting the Art of Buttercream
Successful Stacking
Flawless Fondant

For a beginner I would go in that order but I recommend all of her DVDs. I also like Jennifer Dontz's DVDs but I only have her Fondant Frills DVD so far.

Hope this helps.

TheBakingNurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBakingNurse Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 11:01pm
post #6 of 7

1. I have never used the flower nail but i have read up on it and it seems that you grease your pan and the top the nail, place it flat side down in center of pan and pour the cake mix over it.
2. Once baked and cooled, wrap in plastic wrap and place in freezer
3. I will make my MMF, color it and wrap it in plastic wrap them place in a zip lock bag then in an air tight container and store in a cool dry place
4. There are no rules for store bought frostings or cake mixes but to me the frosting is too thin and could be thickened with ps. Also i use the WASC recipe for my cake mix cakes otherwise its far to soft to stack or carve
5. I believe the only differance is consistancy- frosting is thicker (or this is my definition lol)
6. Most bc will crust at room temp but putting it in the fridge helps stiffen everything up so its easier to manage
7. gumpaste/fondant items could be left out just lightly cover with plastic wrap and keep in a cool dry place
8. Depends on the amount and complexity of decorations needed, typically if i have a cakedue on saturday i will start making my decorations on tues or wed.
9. BC is super easy and you could add any flavors you want...if you want strawberry bc add some strawberry preserves, caramel bc add caramel sauce (homemade caramel is way better but to begin this works well)
10. I personally use you tube tutorials, this site and i record all of the cake shows from cake boss to amazing cakes!
Hope i have been of some assistance!

kneenah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneenah Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 11:31pm
post #7 of 7

thank you soooooooo much... very helpful.. I have to make a double birthday cake for saturday for my mom and little sis and i want it to look nice so ill def take everyones advice.. thanks a zillion....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%