Ganache Question

Lounge By JustGettinStarted Updated 16 Feb 2011 , 11:40am by JustGettinStarted

JustGettinStarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 9

I'm going to use whipped ganache.for.the.first time. I normally freeze my cakes, crumb coat with buttercream, let thaw, then do my final coat. Can I follow this same procedure with ganache? Can I crumbcoat it then let the cake thaw or will the moisture in the cake mess up the ganache as the.cake thaws?

Also, just to be sure, I'm doing a white chocolate ganache, so it should be 3 pounds chocolate to 1 pound cream correct?

8 replies
cfpeoples Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfpeoples Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 9

sorry.....i don't have an answer for you, but was curious myself if ganache always has to be refrigerated...

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 9

JustGettinStarted, The ratio of 3 parts white chocolate to 1 part heavy cream is correct. I can't answer your question regarding putting ganache on the cake while frozen. I freeze my cakes but by the time I get around to icing them, they are thawed, or at least partially thawed.

cfpeoples, I never refridgerate my ganache. I read here on cc (can't remember which thread exactly) that between heating the cream and the amount of sugar in the chocolate, it keeps the ganache from needing refridgeration.

cfpeoples Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfpeoples Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 9

YEA!!!!!! Thanks Debbif !! That's the answer i've always been hoping for. Very good info to have!!

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 6:50am
post #5 of 9

I put ganache on my cakes when they are still partially frozen, I find it works better. It makes the ganache set really quick and seals the moisture in.

I recently tried the upside down method of icing a cake and it worked brilliantly with ganache. Give it a try icon_smile.gif

Hth

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 7:25am
post #6 of 9

What is the upside down method of icing a cake?

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 11:07am
post #8 of 9

Thanks.

JustGettinStarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 11:40am
post #9 of 9

Lisa thanks so much! I thought it might help it set faster but didn't know if the moisture would be a problem. I'm doing a dome-shaped cake so I can't do the upside down icing, but do like that method. Thanks to everyone for your input and help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%