Just Too Stressful -Never Again!

Decorating By LizzyB Updated 18 Feb 2011 , 8:05pm by tryingcake

LizzyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzyB Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 8:17am
post #1 of 18

I took on a project that left me taking to my bed. The cake was not the distater - I was! I don't think I have ever had stress attacks, yes been pretty worked up, but nothing has ever affected me bodily till this weekend....

I took on Christopher Garrens Mario brother cake, I don't know if any CCers are familiar with this creation but it is beautiful. My interpretation of a very similar nature (but a birthday not a wedding) did in the end turn out very well. A lady here in Saudi asked me to do this cake for her and I agreed, fool that I was.

I didn't take into account the journey to the house, or should I say palace! This lady sent a bus to collect me with 4 maids and 3 man servants to help me carry and transport all the gear. Well, OMG the trip was the road to hell for 40mins. We get there all in tact but I am way out of my comfort zone.The sheer opulence of the place intimidated me so much that I started to shake.

And the teams of servants at my disposal, it seemed like a sin. I just wanted out of there, I was just so uncomfortable - anyhoos, I get the thing assembled and it was ok if I say so myself, I leave like a bat out of hell then realise I didn't take one photo!! The whole experience made me quite sick, literally. Then I went to bed and stayed there for the rest of the day.

The experience was just not of this planet and I now know that this person is Riyadh VIP - not a project I would have taken on if I had known. So I posted my pics of my little figures but no cake! And I was so proud of it too ho hum, thanks for listening to my rave.

17 replies
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 11:00am
post #2 of 18

Hey, my grandmother used to say "we all come into the world the same way and we'll all go out the same way" you should not feel so intimidated by people who have wealth and opulence - good on you for managing to get your cake to this palace in one piece - why not ask them if they took any pictures of the cake and if they could possible let you have some copies - I'm sure they would be delighted and then at least you would have them for your portfolio. Your little figurines look wonderful thumbs_up.gif

Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 11:05am
post #3 of 18

why dont you try to see if they took a picture of the cake.. dont freakout because they are VIPs trust me mostly they would be more friendly than even thier maids!
i work in dubai im still new with the business... i would love to see ur cake.
oh and relax the day is over.. u did a good job and u should be glade that you did it.. regardless of anything else

MamaD77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaD77 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 12:26pm
post #4 of 18

Hi LizzyB,

such a shame that happened to you! I've just looked at your gallery, and all of your cakes are fabulous! The Mario Bro's figures look amazing, I'm sure that was one fabulous cake!

i live in Scotland, so your experience sounds like something of another world to me! I can imagine I'd have been the same. But just remember, you have an awesome talent which is obviously admired greatly by your client, or they would not have asked you to do their cake.

I know what you mean about the servants, it goes against my beliefs, and I'd have been ashamed at having people waiting on me, however it's something that these people are accustomed to and is completely normal to them. It's a cultural thing.
You'll just have to chalk it up to one of life's more "interesting" and "educating" experiences, and be glad it's all over.

By the way, I just spotted that we share a birthday! I wish you a happy birthday for tomorrow, "birthday buddy" !
icon_biggrin.gif

Mama D

ChilliPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChilliPepper Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 1:26pm
post #5 of 18

Next time you have a similar experience just imagine them naked, on the loo with the trots! It's amazing how quickly you realise that underneath the glitz or the rags we are all one and the same!!!!!!

CP x

LizzyB Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 4:30pm
post #6 of 18

Thanks you guys, good idea to ask the customer if they took a photo - I will do that!
Happy birthday to you too MamaD. and you made me laugh Chilli, you got to be a Pom right?

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 4:50pm
post #7 of 18

I made a sculpted Mario popping out of a pipe, a very cool cake for my nephews 10th birthday I forgot to take a pic and didn't worry 'cause of course my sister would take a pic and she did or THOUGHT she did her camera's card was full and she calls me asking if I got any pic!

I got one while it was under construction, but not completed. It turned out awesome and I have no proof! I posted the incomplete pic on my facebook page for her friends to get an idea. Such a bummer when you work so hard and have nothing to show for it.

I would definitely email them and ask for a copy of photo.

LizzyB Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 4:56am
post #8 of 18

I know Sorelle isn't is yak? All your hard work and no proof argh! But I have emailed the lady, just waiting now to see if she will send me a pic - my mind on that day was just fried, and I forgot to say in my original post that there were lions YES lions that were strolling around the grounds like kitty kats. Mega scary for me, just wanted outta there.

Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 5:22am
post #9 of 18

Lions!!! really.. ok total VIP im guessing.. have u actually met the lady herself?? normally VIPs wouldnt even meet u.. just have someone arrange things for them...

i have met a royal here in dubai.. "actually we were in the same university" to my surprise she was soo nice and modest. came to uni in a land cruiser.. not a merc or a BMW and acted so normally talked to everyone.. she was the daughter of then the crown prince of dubai "now he is the ruler of dubai"
again im thinking dubai is different than saudi.. people here are generally more tolerance than other arab countrie. because of the great mix in culture in the area..

well i hope u get the picture icon_smile.gif its a bummer not having one ..

LizzyB Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 5:15am
post #10 of 18

I didn't actually meet this lady till I arrived at her place/palace! She was still in bed and none of the maids would wake her. But when she did get up I found her to be a very nice young lady, very westernised and casual. She was lovely, just her surroundings that freaked me out. And I have NO idea how she heard of me, my info is on a couple of western compounds here but not out there in the general population.
And so far, I have not had a response to my photo request.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 3:44am
post #11 of 18

I know you did fine. Even without seeing a picture. I'm am learning that people see in us what we don't see. You were asked to do the cake because they saw your talents. I can tell by reading the post that you have a really kind heart, and you put your heart and soul into the cake.

I know you said the place she lived in was intimidating, however, how many other people (including myself) can't imagine seeing such great things. Just listening to you describe it sounds truly amazing to me. You are great & the is why you were choosing to make the cake. I hope you are able to get a picture of the cake.

Embrace each moment in life...

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:15am
post #12 of 18

Look at it this way - she obviously could have afforded anyone and she asked you! That is an honor. Why would this upset you? Yes, you may be nervous because you especially want to do a nice job. But please try not to be upset over the supposed caliber of person this woman is. I don't think she's a snob or she would have hired some famous uptight better than everyone (in hos or her own mind) cake person. She chose you and your honest talents. That's something to be proud of, not fearful of.

Alwayzmakincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alwayzmakincake Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 10:35am
post #13 of 18

LOL! SO funny! That does suck that you didn't take a pic. I bet it was beautiful. I do have to say that I have never been in a palace. I wish you had taken pics. icon_biggrin.gif

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 11:14am
post #14 of 18

Woow they had LIONS,when i'm I going to get that richhhh icon_twisted.gif

kaciealexa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaciealexa Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 11:39am
post #15 of 18

hey, my idea of being rich., when i know that i have truely 'made it', is when i drive by somebodies garbage on garbage day and i don't look to see if they are tossing anything good.

FairyCakeDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FairyCakeDesigns Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 12:15pm
post #16 of 18

I lived in Dubai for a couple years too so I know exactly what you mean icon_smile.gif
Your figurines are beautiful and you should not be so hard on yourself. This is a wonderful opportunity to get onto a very high end list. For these people money is no object and the sky is the limit on what you can charge for the right cake. The key is confidence in yourself.

ChilliPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChilliPepper Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 12:50pm
post #17 of 18

Yes hun - I am a Pom!!!!

It took me years to get over the forelock tugging and I now treat everybody with the same reverance or irreverance, depending on my mood!!!!

LOL x

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 8:05pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaciealexa

hey, my idea of being rich., when i know that i have truely 'made it', is when i drive by somebodies garbage on garbage day and i don't look to see if they are tossing anything good.

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%