Question For The Scratchers

Baking By AnnieCahill Updated 14 Feb 2011 , 12:00pm by EdieP

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 2:28am
post #31 of 37

wow. Thanks. I'll read it thoroughly tomorrow.

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 2:46am
post #32 of 37

With all of my recipes that call for strictly butter or shortening, I cut the butter in half and substitute half for oil. The cakes are always VERY moist and wonderful!

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 2:48am
post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

I was reading in Heavenly Cakes (I think) or Cake Bible that Mayo is one of those odd ingredients for cakes that works. After all mayo is just emulsified egg yolks, vinegar and oil.

I would just be careful of which mayo you use. Some of them have mustard in that also as I found when I went ingredient hunting last week. I think I'll stick to good old Hellman's when I do try it. Although it does have soybean oil and I am not a fan of using that. We get way too much soy in our food chain as is with me purposely putting it into a cake. I did find a Canola oil may in the organic section of my grocer (Wegmans, CakeandDazzle). But at $5.00 for a pint it was pricey. Still I'm leaning towards trying this or just making my own mayo.

OMG! You have Wegmans! lol Thats my place! I use wegmans brand mayo nice and cheap and works perfect! It does have soybean oil in it though...

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 2:50am
post #34 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Thanks for posting that recipe. I might give that one a try. I had seen that blog before and I've heard a lot of good things about that book. Have you tried many recipes from the Sky High book? I might pick it up if it's worth buying. Does that recipe you posted use the reverse creaming method? It looks like it to me with the creaming of the dry ingredients with the butter and the buttermilk. That is another method I wanted to try in my scratch recipes.

C&D, would you share your white recipe? Do you just replace the extracts to make it lemon?

My recipe

1 cup milk
6 egg whites
1/2 TBLS Vanilla
1/2 TBLS Almond
1/3 cup mayo
Mix above all in 1 bowl, should sit to get alittle warmer, but doesnt have to

2 1/4 flour
1 3/4 sugar
1 TBLS + 1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
Mix together (i do it in my kitchenaid with the wisk attachment)
add 1 stick softened unsalted butter (i do room temp) whisk and scrap til it looks like sand
Pour in wet.

And yes just replace the extracts with either the lemon oil, or i do 2 lemons' juice & 1 lemons zest

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 7:09am
post #35 of 37

So LindaF1441....did DebbyJG every post how her recipe finally turned out? After reading that post, I'm curious.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 11:20am
post #36 of 37

Thanks for all the info. It didn't occur to me to use oil or mayo in place of some of the butter. I might do a few test runs to see how it goes. I am definitely reading that thread when I get home from work today.

Oh, happy Valentine's Day ya'll!

AC

EdieP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EdieP Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 12:00pm
post #37 of 37

One thing, always bake your cakes at 325 degrees..it may take a little longer but it cooks the cake more evenly all my clients love my scratch cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%