How Do I Cover Carved Letters

Decorating By msthang1224 Updated 12 Feb 2011 , 11:47pm by Dayti

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 2

Hi Everyone,

I have carved Capital Letters " D I V A" out of cake and I need to cover them with Fondant. I am looking for some tips on how to cover. Should EACH ONE be covered using one whole fondant piece?

Should I cover in pieces and then again in one sheet of fondant?

Please help me, Thanks

TIA

1 reply
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 2

I did this for the first time yesterday. I used strips of fondant for the vertical sides, cut to just higher than the top of the cake. Applied those first - easiest way I found was to roll the strip up like a bandage and unroll onto your cake. Smooth as normal with a smoother. After a while (about an hour I guess), I cut the top edges of the strips of fondant flush with the top of the cake with a scalpel. Then I cut out approximate shapes for the tops of the letters and applied. Immediately cut away excess flush with the vertical sides, which are now a bit hardened. Blend the top, which is still soft, as well as you can to avoid seams/joins with the sides.
I use ganache under fondant but I'm pretty sure this way would work with BC too. I wanted sharp edges on my cake, which is why I didn't cover in one piece. Also, the letters on my cake were a bit tricky in terms of angles and stuff, and the overall cake wasn't very big.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%