Cupcake Mixes

Baking By ChocolateTreats Updated 3 Mar 2011 , 3:12am by hfxy2011

ChocolateTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChocolateTreats Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 9

Ok, so I am just starting up with cupcakes and don't know where to start...
is the cupcake mix the same as cake mix? If not, where can I find bulk cupcake mix? If it is the same as cake mix, can someone recommend which brand to use? really confused
icon_cry.gif

8 replies
tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 9

it's the same. Don't let anyone tell you different. I saw on the shelf not long ago "cupcake mix" by Pillsbury... WTH?

cake recipes, bunt cake recipes and cupcake recipes are interchangeable. Always have been for me, anyway.

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 9

Yeah, don't let the "cupcake" mixes fool you. It's half the product for almost the same price. Just about any cake recipe, and any cake mix, can be used for cupcakes.

YummyTipsyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyTipsyCakes Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 2:11am
post #4 of 9

DH cake mixes are great. The cupcake mixes you see are nothing but cake mix in a smaller box. Once you start making them and creating them you'll be totally addicted. God Luck!!!

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 2:29am
post #5 of 9

i prefer pillsbury...they are usually the cheapest and for me the best. their butter cake mix is so yummy! i've also had bad tubs of DH frosting before...it was grainy and chalky looking...

ChocolateTreats Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you, this helps, now I had seen a post, looking through some of the forums about adding Buttermilk, instead of water and 4 eggs, instead of 3, for the store bought cake mix...
How true is this?

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 9

It sure is. I always use 4 eggs, sub buttermilk and also a package of instant pudding in a coordinating flavor. Everyone always talks about how moist they are.

ChocolateTreats Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the info, I am going to try it, I will let you know how I make out with this...

hfxy2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hfxy2011 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 3:12am
post #9 of 9

very nice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%