Cake Balls

Decorating By weeny Updated 11 Feb 2011 , 10:21pm by weeny

weeny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weeny Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 7

How are the ball shapes made that I often see cakes decorated with around the base. are they made from cake or is it just fondant rolled into balls? thanks icon_smile.gif

6 replies
etr2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
etr2002 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 7

Balls of fondant.

patticakes34 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakes34 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 7

Yes, just balls of fondant. If you want different size balls just pinch off an amount but if you want a more uniform size all the way around roll your fondant into a rope using two dowel rods on either side- rolling all three so you get a uniform size rope- then cut into the same size pieces - up to you.

sweettooth622 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth622 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 7

OR you could roll out your fondant flat and use a shape cutter like a circle or oval & cut out a bunch at once....then roll into balls. You get a uniform size that way too.

weeny Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 7

thanks for your replies. quite simple really, and yet looks very effective. icon_smile.gif

Dr3amCak3s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dr3amCak3s Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 7

I am just starting to do cakes.. from belize (central america). We dont have a school here to teach this kind of stuff but I always see that they color them with gold or silver.. what do they use to make it like that? Or they look like pearls, so pretty. Amateur I know. I learnt everything I know from online videos. So really can use ALOT of help. Thanks.

weeny Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 10:21pm
post #7 of 7

hi Dr3amCak3s, not sure about what other people use but when I need to colour things gold or silver I use a cake decorating lustre powder. You mix with a little bit of clear alcohol, such as gin or vodka to a paint like consistency and then paint it on to your fondant. I'm self taught myself and learnt from books and I think the internet is a godsend that is how I came across this fantastic website, which is so full of great ideas. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%